RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Retriever Field Trial Stats 1960-66

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Glenda Brown 
#1 ·
I am looking to find a book that will cover information about the National Open and National Amateurs from 1960 through 1966. Dogs qualified, entered, results, etc. Also, if it includes placements in AA stakes, so much the better.

I have been able to track down a lot of old books re the stats but this is the one hole I can't seem to fill.

You can contact me through glendagldnblk@aol.com

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Glenda

#2 ·
Glenda

You will need four books to cover that time frame. For the Amateur you will need 2 books called "The Handbook of Amateur Retriever Trials"--one covers the time 1951 to 1961 and the other covers the time 1962 to 1966. For the Open you will need 2 books called "The National Retriever Field Trial Club, Inc."--one covers the time 1941 to 1960 and the other covers the time 1961 to 1966.

Jack

#3 ·
I knew Jack would have the answer...like the Google/Wilkepedia of retrievers

#5 ·
Thanks---I knew I could probably find an answer here. I do have the National Retriever Field Trial Club 1941-1960 book and it is going to be a real treasure. Got the only one advertised on Amazon. Then have Retriever Field Trials 1967-1972 by Auggie Belmont and Mrs. Toni Reynolds.

Have the rest of the Retriever Field Trial stats books from 1973 through 2008. Will try to track down the other three you mentioned, Jack. Amazon helped some, but I thought maybe someone on here would have them either in their files or know of someone that did. John Lundy's books may include them as he certainly was featured in much of that early data.

Diane---would be glad to buy some or pay for you to have some of the years I want copied. Really appreciate both of you for your input.

Have tracked some info down (for Goldens) from old GRNews but often only some names and no further information.

Bill you ran Ripp in the National Open in 64, 66, and 68 and the National Amat in 66, 67, and 68. Do you still have your old programs? Why I should ask, I don't know, because if you don't, you have them memorized!

Thanks, again, Jack and Diane.

Glenda

#6 ·
Glenda..I'll check with mom but only think she started with 68....and some of those went to Stan and Carolyn.

#7 ·
Glenda: I sent to the Bird Dog Museum every National catalog for every one I attended from June 1965 to about 1995 or somewhere as I stopped going to nationals somewhere in there. Also I had marked each catalog with what series the dog had gone out on-there are probably 20 or more that way. I plan on attending Ray Goodrich's induction and I have a presentation for he and Dede. If David knows where they have "stored" them I will rummage through and get what you need if it is there.

#9 ·
I am looking to find a book that will cover information about the National Open and National Amateurs from 1960 through 1966. Dogs qualified, entered, results, etc. Also, if it includes placements in AA stakes, so much the better.

I have been able to track down a lot of old books re the stats but this is the one hole I can't seem to fill.

You can contact me through glendagldnblk@aol.com

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Glenda
I have all Retriever News from Jan 1956 to date - what do you need?

#10 ·
Thanks---will write to each of you privately. I heard from one person who may have the books and am waiting to hear back from him. I did write to Dave at the HOF but haven't heard back.

I really appreciate all of your help. Will make a list of questions I would like answered and see what info I specifically need. I am more than happy to pay for any extra trouble this presents to anyone---ie, copying, sending, etc.

Lanse -- have tried to call you a couple of times and just gotten your answering device. Let me know a good time to reach you, just to talk.

Again, it is so gratifying to have the resources that are available on this site.

Glenda

#11 ·
I really appreciate all of your help. Will make a list of questions I would like answered and see what info I specifically need. I am more than happy to pay for any extra trouble this presents to anyone---ie, copying, sending, etc.
Glenda
At this point in our lives time to do as we please is the most valuable thing we have. Knowing that you will put the info to a use to better the sport makes helping out worthwhile. :cool:

#13 ·
Thanks to everyone. The response has been tremendous and greatly appreciated.

It is so much fun to go through the old Yearbooks and see people thirty, forty years ago---some you recognize immediately, others you have to check out the names.

I have been lucky enough to watch, train with, and compete against some truly outstanding retrievers during my years in field trials. Would like to think I have owned and run some pretty nice ones as well (at least that is what the dogs always told me around dinner time!

Being a history buff (majored in it in college), I want to make sure we honor our history of this sport and keep alive many of the stories,
accomplishments, and the tales of the fabulous retrievers we have all admired and loved. We owe it to the sport to not forget the pioneers in it and those who laid the foundation for what we are doing now. The RTN has been doing an excellent job with their series on the great dogs that have won Nationals in the past. This forum has many who have been involved with the sport, and at very high levels, and who all continue to contribute to it in one way or the other. Let's make sure the Archives in the various retriever Clubs contain the field history of each breed -- these are "retrievers" and we want to keep them that way.

Again, you have all been great with your generous offers of providing me with information.

Glenda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.