RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Entry Express not following stated closing time

6K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  john fallon 
#1 ·
On a hunt test I am entered in on the 27th of this month I have seen the number of entries increase by 9 dogs after the closing time. I suppose some of those are mail ins perhaps, but actually the closing time came and went with entry express still indicating "enter event" rather than "closed". Is this worth questioning with the event secretary?

#2 ·
Does it affect you in anyway? Will there be less of a chance to get a ribbon? Who the heck cares! David addressed this in a thread a few weeks ago , look it up

#8 ·
Page 10 of the Retriever Hunt Test rule book states no entries shall be accepted after the date of closing listed on the premium.
http://www.akc.org/rules/index.cfm

Pretty straight forward.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Same comes true when you start making special exceptions for scratches or have someone who simply doesn't read the rules for the club or those listed on the premium and doesn't apply them equally in all situations. People start pointing fingers.

#13 ·
It didn't prevent it on Monday. The main reason I asked is that there are now over 60 enteries for a JH test on a Sunday. I have a long drive to and from the test ground. Depending on running order one can be at the test longer had not an extra 9 dogs been signed up after closing. I realize there is no winners or losers but time is ones time. I can use mine for other things beside wating around because entry rules were not followed. Why even have this entry closing rule then?

#14 ·
Why did you stay up until 1:00AM on Monday night to watch the entries?

IN reality, the difference between 50 dogs and 60 dogs in a junior stake will not be that much different than if you had 30-40 dogs in the same stakes. When the numbers get that high, time management becomes an issue, and judges will usually set up much shorter tests than they would have to make sure they move through it quickly.

I have judged a 30 dog junior, and finished around 2PM, and also judged a 50 dog junior, and ended up at the same 2PM. The main difference was the distance of the swims on water. When you have that many dogs to get through, you do not set up long swims, so the timing may not be that much longer.

And of course, if you wait around for the ribbon, it all depends on the club and how they work together. When I first got into this, I waited almost 90 minutes one time for the ribbons to be passed out, after the last dog ran, and I still had a 4 hour drive afterwards. Many things can work to / or against your favor when running an event. My suggestion is to expect to use the entire day for the event, and take in the experience of spending time with your pet / hunting companion / whatever you want to call it / etc. If you go into the event with expectations or time of finish, or anything else, you really are taking away from the experience. You are new. Enjoy the ride. It is worth it.

#17 ·
I doubt that the entries came in after closing. More likely there was just a lag in them putting them up. If it bothers you, contact the HT secretary and/or EE and try to get your money back. This will not be the biggest injustice you encounter in your HT career.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Sometimes, the internet crashes - either on your end or on EE's end. I have had friends who experienced both. I tell them to call EE, leave a message on the EE phone, and it gets addressed the next morning. There isn't always a conspiracy.

#22 ·
Freezeland, you are right. Once an AKC event closes, no additional entries are allowed. You don't have to justify your reason for waiting until 11:59 to enter. You don't need to concern yourself with who owns/owned the entry system (?!?). You have received explanations on how the numbers from EE could change due to mail ins and other circumstances.

People who believe in following the rules set by the AKC should be concerned over the cavalier attitude displayed by some replies in this thread. The only thing that will be accomplished by bending the rules is distrust is the system if the rules don't apply to everyone. I'm certainly not naive, but it makes one wonder what other rules are subject to interpretation by those people.

Hunt Tests are not competitive, but there is a rulebook as well as a code of conduct. If you're like me where in the old days learning of or remembering a closing late in the day was simply tough luck; or, you flew back home from a business trip, called ahead and drove 40 miles to the event secretary's house at 11:00pm with a paper entry, you learn to appreciate closing times, adherence to the rules, and especially the convenience of EE today.

Mark

#25 ·
Well said! I always find it amazing when folks try to beat others down for asking polite questions about something they feel may not be right. Such a simple question receiving SOME of these responses is disturbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.