The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parvo Exposure Theories

Default Parvo Exposure Theories

Sure makes me glad NOT to have a pup right now:

Gal in my office has a 4mo Aussie Pup... had 3 rounds of Parvo ML Vaccines. from reputable breeder, etc.

A friend of hers got a 6mo old pound puppy... Dog had also gone thru 3 rounds of Parvo vax- Same vet office as the aussie pup, but totally different timing of vaccines... months apart

Pound pup gets diagnosed with Parvo.. Initially pretty sick but bounced back.

The gal in my office got pretty worried about her aussie pup.. she had let them play together about a month ago. Her pup was in good shape last week.

She went ahead and took the aussie pup into the vet for a 4th booster...just in case,

She went out of town on Friday (10/11).. The aussie pup went back to the breeders home to be boarded for the weekend.

Saturday night, he is SICK.. mucusy poop

Takes him to vet: Diagnosed with Parvo... Vet says levels too high to be vaccine titer.

Aussie Pup was hospitalised thru Monday, and sent home.

Was pretty depressed on Monday and tuesday, but is back to being a terror now.

Pretty concerning that 2 well documented vaccinated young dogs, are dealing with this... Vaccine failure is my theory as both had been vaccinated at the same clinic...

Feel pretty sorry for the Aussie breeder.. she had 2 litters of pups on her place, when the aussie pup was being boarded there... granted no direct contact, but still

Both the pound puppy and the aussie pup had been going to good ole Petsmart for puppy classes.. which is a pretty logical exposure.. But still shocked to see the vaccine failure.
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"

Anti parvo virus antibodies from colostrum can persist in the puppy for up to 20 weeks of age. Those antibodies react to the attenuated virus particles in the vaccine as if it was a challenge by the virus thereby inactivating part of the vaccine particles. Protective immunity is not fully achieved until a Parvo virus booster is administered at 18-20 weeks. Additionally almost any vaccine induced immunity can be overwhelmed by a sufficiently large exposure, in this case it could be a combination of both. The fact that both survived with a short course of therapy suggests that both had partial but not fully protective immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Anti parvo virus antibodies from colostrum can persist in the puppy for up to 20 weeks of age. Those antibodies react to the attenuated virus particles in the vaccine as if it was a challenge by the virus thereby inactivating part of the vaccine particles. Protective immunity is not fully achieved until a Parvo virus booster is administered at 18-20 weeks. Additionally almost any vaccine induced immunity can be overwhelmed by a sufficiently large exposure, in this case it could be a combination of both. The fact that both survived with a short course of therapy suggests that both had partial but not fully protective immunity.
    I'm glad to hear this from a real live vet . Thanks Dr A!
    Why , is it then, that so many vets take it as proper protocol to STOP the vaccinations before that age!?( many here call it good at 12wks) I have never got that. I tell my puppy buyers to make sure that their pup gets that last vaccination at 17 to 20 weeks. I generally revaccinate mine with a straight parvo vacc. at 5 mos. I require dogs entering kennel for training, have their last vacc. no earlier than 17 weeks. Some people have to push it to get that last one because their vets stopped early.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Banned

Doc, how often do litters come to you for tails and ears? You probably see a lot of litters for tails and ears. I am sure you run a clean clinic but according to good research 95% of puppies are exposed to parvo at the vet clinic while they are still running on colostrum antibodies. So what is the value of vaccinating well before that transitional window. My vet won't vaccinate before 8 - 9 weeks unless the client really demands it and he doesn't advise sending pups home until a good week after that. Which pups get parvo and which don't has always intrigued me because you have to believe the vast majority of pups are exposed well before vaccination-induced immunity but never get it.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 10-16-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    Doc, how often do litters come to you for tails and ears? You probably see a lot of litters for tails and ears. I am sure you run a clean clinic but according to good research 95% of puppies are exposed to parvo at the vet clinic while they are still running on colostrum antibodies. So what is the value of vaccinating well before that transitional window. My vet won't vaccinate before 8 - 9 weeks unless the client really demands it and he doesn't advise sending pups home until a good week after that. Which pups get parvo and which don't has always intrigued me because you have to believe the vast majority of pups are exposed well before vaccination but never get it.
    We live in an area with strictly enforced leash laws, consequently in my area parvo virus is rare and generally from shelter dogs or people who have gotten puppies at flea markets (bad idea). I don't trim ears and only occassionally dock tails on 3-5 day old pups, have not had a case of parvo virus in my clnic in a very long time but we are always vigilant and if suspected we disinfect the exam room and close it off to puppies for several days.

What are best practices when dealing with puppies?

Up until about 2 weeks ago I had no idea parvo was such a serious problem. It's more I learn, parvo is more like an eminent threat. It was explained to me that parvo is everywhere. You go to the dog park, vet's office, pet store... you get parvo on your shoes and when you get out of your car and enter your house and/or whelping room with those shoes, parvo is in your house and in your room. For 6 months or a year i.e. a very long time. You basically can't kill the virus unless you spray everything with bleach and let that stand for 20 minutes before you wipe it off.

I just had a litter of puppies and they were doing great being really playful and I wanted to take them swimming for the first time. The weather and water temp were great. Afternoon temps low 80's and water temp still low 70's. The perfect pond was at a park. I was told not to get them in water there because parvo was everywhere.

So instead of swimming at 5 weeks they got their first vaccination 5 way, and I've been worried everyday since.

Back to my question, is it in the parameters of safe or neighborhood of safe is you get your puppies out to socialize so long as your watching them like a hawk? It sounds like so long as they don't roll around in a parvo infected dog's poop they're probably safe. And don't let them play with strangers.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

So I have to ask does this lead to credence of keeping the pup away from other dogs until all the vaccinations have been completed??? I realize there are other ways Parvo can be contracted.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    So what is the value of vaccinating well before that transitional window. My vet won't vaccinate before 8 - 9 weeks unless the client really demands it and he doesn't advise sending pups home until a good week after that.
    Isnt that why we run a series of vaccinations with them? Because with each individual pup we dont know WHEN their collostorum antibodies wear off.- to cover the window?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I am closely following this thread, the information and details are excellent and of particular interest to me. I recently had a litter of labradors (7/6). Last week of September they all got their first 5 way vaccine and health certs from my vets office. They were all brought in 1 at a time carried. They all left 1 at a time carried. No contact with the floor but I never thought about my own shoes.

Just last week one pup, in Kansas, was diagnosed with Parvo (~15 weeks old). Spent 4 full days on an IV, 2 days it never moved from the kennel floor with the exception of being forced fluids, just yesterday it finally went home to the owner, lost what looks like about 1/2 it's body weight, eating 2 Tspns (mayb TBSP) of bland food 6 times a day. Pup should recover but that was 4 days I'm sure the owner would like to forget.

They took the pup to a local park just about 3 days before being diagnosed.

I think it is interseting to get some insight. We have not had a puppy born on our place in 15 years ( purchased one last year) and I guess I was just not on high alert for Parvo. I certainally am familiar with it,but it was the big bad moster you only heard about on rare occasions.. Between the RTF and my office,Im reeling at how much more widespead it seems to be!
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"