The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parvo Exposure Theories

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    So I have to ask does this lead to credence of keeping the pup away from other dogs until all the vaccinations have been completed??? I realize there are other ways Parvo can be contracted.
    I would keep mine away from communal dog areas where people bring all breeds and ages of dogs with unknown health and vaccination history. I take mine training everyday to our privately owned training places and exposure to dogs whose homes are like mine. I take my puppies to my clinic every day I go to work for socialization but as previously stated Parvo
    virus is not an important disease in my practice area.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I would keep mine away from communal dog areas where people bring all breeds and ages of dogs with unknown health and vaccination history. I take mine training everyday to our privately owned training places and exposure to dogs whose homes are like mine. I take my puppies to my clinic every day I go to work for socialization but as previously stated Parvo
    virus is not an important disease in my practice area.
    Thanks. Great! that is what I do. Train on known lands where I know the dogs are vaccinated and go to homes similar to mine.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have heard differing incubation times for Parvo. I have had people indicate that they went to a certain place, and the next day the pup had parvo. I understood that it was 10-14 days before symtoms appeared.

I lost a pup to Parvo earlier this spring. Vaccinations were up to date. Long story short, pup was exposed to the virus at the Vet's office (not my usual vet) vet admitted this. Litigation pending.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    I have heard differing incubation times for Parvo. I have had people indicate that they went to a certain place, and the next day the pup had parvo. I understood that it was 10-14 days before symtoms appeared.
    The generally accepted Parvo virus incubation period is 3-7 days

Where I live Parvo is like the common cold. It's everywhere. My pup was in a bubble at home. I wouldn't take in the front yard to get the mail. Trips to the vet were in a crate.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    The generally accepted Parvo virus incubation period is 3-7 days
    Thanks,shorter than I thought.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    Isnt that why we run a series of vaccinations with them? Because with each individual pup we dont know WHEN their collostorum antibodies wear off.- to cover the window?
    Yeah but the research indicates that vaccinating before 8 - 9 weeks is useless at best and could really mess with the antibodies already in the dog. It is somewhat of a crap shoot estimating the transition but vaccinating at 5 weeks is questionable to me unless there is a serious known risk. Might be better to mitigate any known risks rather than expect a vaccine to work at such a young age.

This is what is so puzzling, why some litters get it and others don't despite the fact virtually all litters are exposed. It must have to do with the colostrum quality from litter to litter. Perhaps as a bitch gets older the quality of colostrum goes down, could be diet, could be excessive vaccination of the bitch, lord knows.

I used the example of breeds going in at 3 days for tails, why don't more litters get parvo when it has been shown that 95% of pups that go to the vet get exposed.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 10-18-2013 at 04:50 PM.