The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Qualifying Stake

Default The Qualifying Stake

I have the goal of entering the Qualifying stake in the spring. After reading the rule book and viewing a few Qual threads, I'm still wondering how they're typically structured.

Here's what I've garnered so far:

Triple marks with at least one retired gun
    Honor
    Diversion birds are allowed as are diversion crates, guns, bird bags
    Land Blind
    Water Blind

Can you share your experiences with me? Are there shoreline blinds, delayed multiples with blinds to run before getting memory birds? Wipeout marks?

Are Quals as "busy" as a difficult Master test? Yes I will try to watch a couple, but they're usually in conflict with the derby.

Thanks,
    Jen

First series is usually a triple on land, but sometimes a double. Sometimes a retired gin. Sometimes not. I have seen 2 recently that had a triple with double retired.

Second series is land blind. Could be through old fall, or near flyer statiom from first series (with flyer crates still there.

Third series is usually water blind. Depending on water, could be down the shore. Sould be over a point. Could be just open water.

Fouth series is water marking. Could be double or triple. Could be with retired gun or not. Depending on water cod be bridge bird.

There will be honor in one of the marking series

Double retired Triples on land and water. May as well throw one off the line and make your training all quads with multiethnic retireds

No training equipment is to be used on the grounds, this includes your "clicker" Soory couldnt resist.....
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I have the goal of entering the Qualifying stake in the spring. After reading the rule book and viewing a few Qual threads, I'm still wondering how they're typically structured.

Here's what I've garnered so far:

• Triple marks with at least one retired gun
    • Honor
    • Diversion birds are allowed as are diversion crates, guns, bird bags
    • Land Blind
    • Water Blind

Can you share your experiences with me? Are there shoreline blinds, delayed multiples with blinds to run before getting memory birds? Wipeout marks?

Are Quals as "busy" as a difficult Master test? Yes I will try to watch a couple, but they're usually in conflict with the derby.

Thanks,
    Jen

Sorry that no one is willing to answer your question directly.

Marks - doubles or triples. Maybe no, one or two retired. Typically, wide open.
    Blind run in conjunction with marks for efficiency sake (too hard to get Pros, and Ams in the Open to get to Q 4 times)
    Generally, blind off to side. I have not seen poison bird in Q, but am certain someone will want to try it. Have not seen blinds tight to bird crates, sacks, etc. Have seen blinds 20 yards off back side of flyer guns.
    Water - on/off prominent point, or get in water stay in water close to shore
    Have not seen wipeout birds. Have seen breaking birds (why?)

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

There is no comparison to a Master test.I have seen Quals where the pros said the first series was harder than the Open or Am.Typically the blinds aren't quite as technical as AA stakes but expect and train to the next level up.
    Oh and no bows or neckerchiefs are allowed.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

They never conflict with the derby, two different days and the next will not start untill the first has finished, because alot of times it's the same set of judges...

Are they as busy?? Probably not but you need a better "trained" dog to be competitive in a Q than a Master, maybe not a better dog but a better "trained" dog.. With that being said I really enjoy judging Q's not so much Derby's..

Generally, blind off to side. I have not seen poison bird in Q, but am certain someone will want to try it.
    Yep seen it Summer of 2008 Mississippi Headwaters D/Q ...

Jen

I will be running both my dogs at the Corning trial the same weekend you do. I started out with my first lab running hunt tests but we are now running in the amateur and her son is running in the derby. I would be glad to share info with you if I see you that weekend.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)

I am truly impressed that in only a few short months and a handful of field trials Jennifer has become a minor stake expert.