The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Qualifying Stake

There are several factors that influence the degree of difficulty in a trial. These factors additionally figure into a "Q". The quality of the grounds, the number of entries (time) and the strength of the field. The key is having enough test that you can achieve separation. With good grounds, separation may be accomplished without retiring a gun or adding additional factors to a blind. With lessor grounds additional factors may be need to achieve separation.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I am truly impressed that in only a few short months and a handful of field trials Jennifer has become a minor stake expert.
    She watched the videos.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    She watched the videos.

/Paul
    Yes, yes I did! But I didn't use a choke chain!

You will see wide variations in qualifying tests based on the judges' theories of what a Q should be. If the judges are the type that view the Q as a way to get interested in the sport vs. those that believe that when a dog gets QAA'd they are essentially ready to start running an AA stake. I've seen them across the board, and I think that's why you are getting the varying answers. When I qualified one dog I trained, the water blind was one that the open had run the year before, minus about 20 yards of entry. It still had 80 yards of an angle entry into the water. The second dog that I trained and got qualified had a shore line blind.... there was a point, spits of land to go up and over, and a shoreline to skim. I will never forget how Niki took that cast towards the shore, delayed vocal back cast) and she skimmed it like a champ. the judges said they'd been waiting all day to see someone to run that blind like that. The next day had ice on the ground, cold stiff wind in alabama, believe it or not. My girl was the only one to get in the cheating edge of that water, and swim to the long retired up on the dam... and, she returned the same way. I remember the applause. and Jerry Day saying "wow, andy trained another good one." And, as Attar said to me, "I bet you were quick to correct him." You bet I was! (this was a momma trained dog, Jerry!").
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

X2 on JusticeDog's post.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    X2 on JusticeDog's post.
    You also have a dog name Nikki that did the same thing?!?!?

Whelp, seems like there's variety in everything; If your daring you could just throw into a Am. or Open, if you Jam, I hear tell you become QAA, by default, and of course you get the added possibility of being able to win-place in the Am/Op .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Number Seven View Post
    You also have a dog name Nikki that did the same thing?!?!?
    He wishes! My Niki is 12 now - although she doesn't look it or know it. Wish she were younger. Time goes too quickly.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I've run more Q's with several different dogs over the last 6 years than I like to admit. I've seen just about anything along the way except for a Quad, Poison Bird, or marks interupted by a blind.
    Doubles none retired to Triples with two retired. Out of order flyer. Blinds up the middle, behind, tight, wide and even under the arc of the flyer. Dry pops. Land and Water blinds that were difficult and blinds that were so meatless you wondered why they bothered.

Double and a blind, triple and a blind, triples with a LB and a WB (its kind of fun to get three series run in one trip to the line).

A double with one retired and a blind seem to be the most common first/second combo series these days. While I am not a big fan of a double and a blind for the combo first two series (prefer that Q dogs have to count to 3), I understand why its necessary to keep the stake moving.

You enter the trial and run what they set up.

DP

Q's are not as theatrical as Master tests, marks will be a step up from MH but anticipate much higher standard for the blinds, especially the water blinds.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.