The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member intro

Default New member intro

Hey all, I've been poking around this site quite a bit lately and figured it was time that I signed up and introduced myself at least.

I've been coming on this site because I'm a brand new owner of Manistee (YLM). I've had a few dogs over the years but this is my first experience with a lab and will be my first attempt at formally training a retriever. My only other retriever "training" experience was with one of my hunting partner's chessie who's getting up there in age and her hips are starting to be a problem for her. So this time around, it's my turn to do the work with the dog!

Me, even though I've had hunting dogs before that were well behaved and hunted well, they really weren't "trained" at all in any formal capacity (whistles, hand signals, etc) so that's all completely new to me and I've been trying to absorb as much info as possible and have ordered a couple books and DVD's as well.

About lil Manistee (AKA Manny), he's been a handful so far! I've only had him since last Saturday but from what I can tell, he's experienceing some separation anxiety. I've never had a pup that was so worried about being left alone, so much so that it's impacting his house training. But I've seen quite a few posts on here about that issue so at least I have a few things to try and help him get over it.

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll have numerous questions as we progress but I just wanted to say hi and thanks to all for posting up all the great information on here!

IMG_2850[2].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by swosh View Post
    Hey all, I've been poking around this site quite a bit lately and figured it was time that I signed up and introduced myself at least.

I've been coming on this site because I'm a brand new owner of Manistee (YLM). I've had a few dogs over the years but this is my first experience with a lab and will be my first attempt at formally training a retriever. My only other retriever "training" experience was with one of my hunting partner's chessie who's getting up there in age and her hips are starting to be a problem for her. So this time around, it's my turn to do the work with the dog!

Me, even though I've had hunting dogs before that were well behaved and hunted well, they really weren't "trained" at all in any formal capacity (whistles, hand signals, etc) so that's all completely new to me and I've been trying to absorb as much info as possible and have ordered a couple books and DVD's as well.

About lil Manistee (AKA Manny), he's been a handful so far! I've only had him since last Saturday but from what I can tell, he's experienceing some separation anxiety. I've never had a pup that was so worried about being left alone, so much so that it's impacting his house training. But I've seen quite a few posts on here about that issue so at least I have a few things to try and help him get over it.

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll have numerous questions as we progress but I just wanted to say hi and thanks to all for posting up all the great information on here!

IMG_2850[2].jpg
    Welcome to RTF Swosh.

It looks like you may have taken your pup directly from momma and litter to your home. (based upon the picture and the statement that you've had pup for a week).

I would offer that it is totally normal for a pup to be confused and make a racket during the first several days after being taken from momma and brothers/sisters.

To me, "separation anxiety" is something that comes later in a dog's life.

What you're dealing with is likely normal puppy stuff and nothing to be alarmed about at this point. Most of us deal with some of it when we get a new pup and it may seem like it lasts forever. But in a few months, you may have trouble remembering what was so "bad" about it.

Hang in there and enjoy the journey! That's a really cute picture of your pup. It ALMOST makes me want one....but not quite!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Hey swosh,
    this is a great group and they will give you some solid advice. Manny is a handsome little guy! Good luck! Oz
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Welcome aboard. You'll find lots of useful information on this site, the search function works really well.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Welsome to RTF. It sometime helps if you cover his kennel at night and also put a stuffed animal in it. Another trick is put a radio on soft music by the kennel.

Welcome. Nice looking pup. As others have said there is wealth of information here.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

Welcome to RTF. Enjoy the ride!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Nice looking boy there.
    As stated he's new to your family and it takes a little to adjust to that. Put the kennel by your bed for a few days and then gradually move it out of the room.
    If he shows signs of SA later when you leave only go for about 5 minutes and every few days increase the time you're gone. he needs to be reassured that you are coming back.
    If he's behaving when you come through the door be sure to praise him for that good behavior, if he's acting nuts do nothing till he settles down, then praise the good behavior.

Good luck and take it slow with his training.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Welcome to the RTF. I hope you have years of fun with your dog.

GDG means, Goldens Do Good.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Welcome Swosh, hope you and Manny have fun.
    Search is a great tool
    Don't be distracted by little jabs from know it alls on here.
    What program are you going to follow?
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QA2 FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2 NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QA2
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH QA2