The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looks Like Gov Jindal Will Toss His Hat Into The Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I don't remember. It was a recent story on new results by state on Bing. I remember Wi because of all the controversy surrounding Walker's reforms.
    I'm would imagine you are talking about the ACT testing and if so WI came in second to MN a state completely controlled by the Democrats who as we all know are owned by the union. I think some people may be trying a conclusion based on a false premise, 2+2 doesn't equal banana.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I'm would imagine you are talking about the ACT testing and if so WI came in second to MN a state completely controlled by the Democrats who as we all know are owned by the union. I think some people may be trying a conclusion based on a false premise, 2+2 doesn't equal banana.
    I agree with your reasoning. I guess the point that I was trying to make was that the Wi unions and many in the media said that Walker was destroying education in Wi. when in fact the kids are doing better.
    "Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat. Today they're still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn't do much for them." Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I agree with your reasoning. I guess the point that I was trying to make was that the Wi unions and many in the media said that Walker was destroying education in Wi. when in fact the kids are doing better.
    Before we anoint Walker a Demigod, keep in mind this is tied for the lowest test score WI have had since 1996.

Median income has a tendency to fall when more are employed at entry level wages.

I'd like to hear about level of education from your perspective.

They also tend to fall when Union labor and the "ripples" effect it has on non-union labor is forced to take a pay cut due to the laws passed by Walker. Also Walker took office two years ago, I can at best give him a 1/12 credit for current test scores. There has been an exodus of teachers and rash of early retirements in response to Walkers laws. Now the question is will Wisconsin be able to draw equal talent offering less money and benefits. An average of test scores over the next few years will answer that question.

The money that was saved is being used to reduce property taxes. Which is fine, but with what I presume is a permanent reduction in salaries to public service employees and the ripple effects that come with it that will ultimately result in lower returns for income taxes. If you earn less you pay less right? That will at some point also have the effect of lowering property taxes also. Which will also mean less income. Now that could all be good (except for the workers) if they had used the surplus to pay off long term debt and lower taxes in a more organic manor, but that is not what they did so debt will continue to be a liability. They did balance the budget which is the gem in this whole thing provided that they can maintain it, but that will mean they will need to continue to cut as revenues fall.

Because of the way that all of this is structured, a determination of how well Walker did will have to wait at least a few years. There could be positive effects from the reduction of taxes towards the economy. I personally think those reductions need to be more targeted towards businesses or consumers that will increase business. You have mentioned that he also reduced regulations to attract business. That may draw some, but their are costs human and financial to attracting companies enthused by their ability to pollute air and water so good luck with that.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."