The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malocclusion of Lower Canines - Best Option?

Default Malocclusion of Lower Canines - Best Option?

My 5 month old puppy's lower canines are coming in where at least one of them will be poking him in the roof of his mouth. I don't consider extraction as a viable option which leaves me with cutting down the canines to about the level of his incisors (crown reduction and vital pulpotomy), or putting in an incline plane appliance (essentially like braces) to push the teeth to the proper position which leaves the canine teeth intact. Has anyone had experience with either of these procedures? Any recommendation on which option is preferred? Thanks for your help!
    Deb Anderson

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Personally, I would go with the appliance. Crown reduction and pulpectomy could leak resulting in an infection and tooth/bone loss, including surrounding teeth. It leaves the tooth brittle because it is dead, and the body can sometimes reject it by slowly absorbing the root. The brittleness could cause fracture with normal eating/retrieving/chewing. It will also wear much faster with normal eating/chewing.
    I would think that an appliance would also be cheaper, it saves the integrity of the tooth, and it allows for normal tooth alignment which is important with the canines and their relationship with the other teeth.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Your pup is only 5 months old. Upper jaw always grows first and then lower catches up.
    A malocclusion can develop at any time, however, your pup is just in the second stage which lasts until 7 months of age. I've seen many bite issues correct on their own.

I personally would wait until the third stage of growth after 8 months before making any permanent decision.
    Last edited by frontier; 10-17-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I too would opt for the appliance, and it is a lot easier to get good results as the teeth are still growing in to get them back into their proper position. I did have a board-certified veterinary dentist tell me once that you can also find a hard ball that is perfectly sized for a particular dog's mouth and have the dog hold it virtually all of the time... the curvature of the ball deflects the teeth as they are growing in and pushes them back outward into a more proper position. Would depend on how cooperative and "ball-crazy" the pup was, I suppose. Just thought it was interesting, so have remembered the little tip for decades now. Probably depends on a lot of things- including how far the teeth have already grown in- but could also be worth a try as the least expensive option prior to pursuing one of the more costly, more invasive techniques?
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Thanks for the input. As I have googled information on this I also saw mention of the ball technique. At this stage he is much more into tugging, rat-shaking, and mouthing than holding anything for a period of time. I am leaning towards the appliance for several reasons, but one is to get it done in time to proceed with force fetch
    Deb Anderson

FWIW - We did the "braces" with my yellow dog and it worked well. No issues during or after treatment. good luck
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

I too would go with the appliance now during growth phase, if you have the Vet to do it and the resources. I am a Dentist and I practice Orthodontics on children and adults and I use lots of appliances to correct jaw growth. It is true that the lower jaw does grow longer than the upper jaw and sometimes catches up, but the Vet should know if there is a chance of this or not. The ball thing looks very interesting, kind of like a removable appliance.
    Good Luck,
    Colleen

Would you breed with these dogs?
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Would you breed with these dogs?

No, I would not. But that is just me.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Thanks for everyone's input. He is scheduled to have his appliance installed on Thursday. The decision was it is best to put it in while the teeth are still coming in so it should take less time to get them moving the right direction. Hopefully it is quick and effective.
    Deb Anderson