The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: By golly, there IS a free lunch after all

Default By golly, there IS a free lunch after all

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...orida-schools/
    A new federal program is giving Florida’s public schools a way out of verifying whether students qualify for free or reduced-price lunches.

The solution: expand subsidized meals to include all students whether they can afford to pay or not.

Known as the Community Eligibility Option, schools and even entire districts can now receive free breakfast and lunch if 40 percent or more of students’ families are identified as low-income.
    Does this encourage the perception that parents are not needed even to feed their own children? The govt will take care of it.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 10-18-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

when my wife was s school nurse at a "county" elementary school here in north alabama i enjoyed one of the great pleasures in my life as a taxpayer. i would visit her and have lunch in the "lunch room" occasionally. my annecdotal survey of this low socioeconomic school revealed that 85% of students went through the line, had their tray filled, paid nothing and recieved "free lunches". of this 85% getting it free, about 50% ate little on the tray then threw the food away and went to vending machines and bought a 20 oz pepsi for $1.50, a bag of chips for $.75 and a candy bar or honey bun for another $1.00. in addition to this "lunch time money making vending operation" there were "school supplies" sold and later in the afternoon snacks at "break". these same "disadvantaged youth" were buying erasers shaped like cartoon super heros, 64 pack crayolas and all manner of afternoon icecream sandwiches and nutty buddies.

so yes, i like that these programs are heading in a direction to include everyone!

LAWS
    1. one never appreciates and often resents that which is given to them for "free". lunch included.
    2. the supply of food is finite. when the government throws trillions of tax dollars at a finite supply of anything......the cost of that thing, by economic law rises.(the same rising costs of college educations)
    john mccallie

Let not forget all the program they have in WIS. There is breakfast then morning milk thenafter school then supper.
    Now the new one is School lights on after dark. This one is a dooze . This one is so the hard working parents can stay at there job and not have to worry about there kids. The kids can get homework help and also have some very fun thing to do. A milk and snack is provided at no charge

We feed free breakfast and lunch to every kid in our school. I'm guessing that 95% would qualify for free meals.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Nanny state! Get rid of this nonsense. Parents must be responsible for feeding their kids.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Nanny state! Get rid of this nonsense. Parents must be responsible for feeding their kids.

Right. It's preferable to keep poor kids hungry all day at school so none of them has a chance to excel and work their way out of poverty.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Right. It's preferable to keep poor kids hungry all day at school so none of them has a chance to excel and work their way out of poverty.
    The parents already get food stamps to feed them. Enough already.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...orida-schools/

Does this encourage the perception that parents are not needed even to feed their own children? The govt will take care of it.
    I grew up in a farming community - there was a free hot lunch every day at school cooked by 3 local ladies in the cafeteria. There was no discussion of eligibility. I got extra helpings because the lady that ran the kitchen thought me to be OK.

IMO - if everything wasn't such a overhyped press release, what's the big deal about kids getting a decent meal. BTW, we ate what was put in front of us, to not do so would have been insulting the cooks who were a well respected part of our community.

Respect for others is sadly lacking in most communities today.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I grew up in a farming community - there was a free hot lunch every day at school cooked by 3 local ladies in the cafeteria. There was no discussion of eligibility. I got extra helpings because the lady that ran the kitchen thought me to be OK.

IMO - if everything wasn't such a overhyped press release, what's the big deal about kids getting a decent meal. BTW, we ate what was put in front of us, to not do so would have been insulting the cooks who were a well respected part of our community.

Respect for others is sadly lacking in most communities today.
    marvin,
    there is a huge quality difference in what any farming mother or granny put on the caf table then vs. what queen michele deems appopriate for school nutrition of today!
    john mccallie

Sometimes the Boss buys donuts. Sometimes pizza. Mostly, I bring my own lunch. Sometimes I share, and I buy the donuts and the pizza. Life is tough. Sharin' is good. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift