The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild rose way.

I think Bubba slipped a little from his Wild Rose way, I think I remember hearing something from him while training regarding the line his dog took,as he dropped his clicker,and spilled his bag of treats,something to the effect of please come here and see if you would like to start over on this again, there was a soft look in his eye as he patted his dog and looked to borrow a healing stick ......
    Nothing Bad happens to pup on my watch

Steve Talbot

I thought the DVD well worthwhile, but wouldn't consider it a stand-alone training tool.
    Agreed.

You will have gathered that this subject can generate rather more heat than light. The Wildrose kennel is a controversial subject in RTF, and the DVD whilst being unexceptional comes in for adverse comment because of that.

Just for clarities sake, the methods shown are mostly but not entirely "positive." Clicker does not feature nor does treat training, but a simplified version of Force Fetch is shown. The basic obedience tasks aren't very well demonstrated but then some of the commonly touted Carr based DVDs are much worse IMO.

If you put sound obedience basics into a dog and used The Wildrose Way as a guide thereafter I think you'd have a better trained hunting dog than a majority of people.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 10-19-2013 at 05:05 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    If you put sound obedience basics into a dog and used The Wildrose Way as a guide thereafter I think you'd have a better trained hunting dog than a majority of people.

Eug
    If you put sound obedience basics into a dog you would probably be in the 90th percentile. People outside my training group actually think my dog is well trained!
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Gundog View Post
    I think Bubba slipped a little from his Wild Rose way, I think I remember hearing something from him while training regarding the line his dog took,as he dropped his clicker,and spilled his bag of treats,something to the effect of please come here and see if you would like to start over on this again, there was a soft look in his eye as he patted his dog and looked to borrow a healing stick ......
    Nope. He sat on his clicker and ate the treats himself.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I agree completely with what Eug. posted.

If you are looking for a mostly positive method DVD with more structure, much more detail on obedience, and 4x more training material... Check out Keith Matthews DVD from Ireland. There's a thread somewhere on here about it, but I can tell you from watching it, without any comments on Keith's merits, it's an extremely helpful program. 4 DVDs total.
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post

(snip)

Eug
    If you train your dog to the Senior Hunter level, you will have a better hunting dog than the majority of hunters in the field.

But, for many/most of the folks on this forum, the Senior Hunter level is not a very lofty aspiration. Hence, the negative assessments of the Wildrose method.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American, though it may be too little too late now.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I used it to teach my unicorn to fetch tennis balls.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    If you train your dog to the Senior Hunter level, you will have a better hunting dog than the majority of hunters in the field.

But, for many/most of the folks on this forum, the Senior Hunter level is not a very lofty aspiration. Hence, the negative assessments of the Wildrose method.

JS
    Check; Jr hunter is max for WR WAY
    Just Win