RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Wild rose way.

5K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Raymond Little 
#1 ·
I have a male british lab and was just wondering if anybody out there has used this dvd?
Thanks
Bob

#2 ·
In order to save a lot of posts - please use the search function at the top right. This topic will lead to another more general one that is always a "Hot Button".

My understanding of Wild Rose is that it is a Positive Reinforcement training program. What you want your dog to do (results) and how you go about it (method)should determine how you train.

#4 ·
The Wildrose Way is not used by very many people here. A quick look at the banners of some of the supports will point you in the directions many use. A search of old threads will give you an idea of the type of discussion that may develop on your thread. Please don't let that discourage you. Some people can be very passionate about theirs dogs and training methods.

I think only using positive reinforcement training may limit your training tools. There are methods in dog training that may, may not seem logical at first.

Ultimately, you want ot have fun with your dog. Don't lose sight of that.

Tom

#11 ·
I think Bubba slipped a little from his Wild Rose way, I think I remember hearing something from him while training regarding the line his dog took,as he dropped his clicker,and spilled his bag of treats,something to the effect of please come here and see if you would like to start over on this again, there was a soft look in his eye as he patted his dog and looked to borrow a healing stick ......

#12 · (Edited)
I thought the DVD well worthwhile, but wouldn't consider it a stand-alone training tool.
Agreed.

You will have gathered that this subject can generate rather more heat than light. The Wildrose kennel is a controversial subject in RTF, and the DVD whilst being unexceptional comes in for adverse comment because of that.

Just for clarities sake, the methods shown are mostly but not entirely "positive." Clicker does not feature nor does treat training, but a simplified version of Force Fetch is shown. The basic obedience tasks aren't very well demonstrated but then some of the commonly touted Carr based DVDs are much worse IMO.

If you put sound obedience basics into a dog and used The Wildrose Way as a guide thereafter I think you'd have a better trained hunting dog than a majority of people.

Eug

#13 ·
If you put sound obedience basics into a dog and used The Wildrose Way as a guide thereafter I think you'd have a better trained hunting dog than a majority of people.

Eug
If you put sound obedience basics into a dog you would probably be in the 90th percentile. People outside my training group actually think my dog is well trained!

#15 ·
I agree completely with what Eug. posted.

If you are looking for a mostly positive method DVD with more structure, much more detail on obedience, and 4x more training material... Check out Keith Matthews DVD from Ireland. There's a thread somewhere on here about it, but I can tell you from watching it, without any comments on Keith's merits, it's an extremely helpful program. 4 DVDs total.

#17 ·
I used it to teach my unicorn to fetch tennis balls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.