The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vocalization on water marks

Default Vocalization on water marks

I have a large and powerful male lab who is a very fast swimmer. You would think he has a propeller on his butt. At my last club training day, and yesterday at a HT he is squealing like a pig while swimming on the way out to the water marks. He doesnt do this when we are training alone. He gets lots of water marks (ducks) when we train, almost daily. But introduce other dogs to the equation like at the club training day or yesterday at the HT and it's like he cannot get to that duck fast enough.

Is this frustration on his part not being able to get there fast enough , or competiveness on his part with the other dogs being around, or?

I haven't been able to get him to do it when we are alone and training to be able to try and correct it, or is it a battle not even worth worrying about and fighting?

Thanks in advance.

I have owned three labs that were vocal on water retrieves. It became a little offensive with Ben my first lab, but I did not compete with him and the ducks did not seem to mind the noise. His first litter of 9, had 3 males and 1 female that exhibited the same trait. The little female's call name was "Squealer", and some of their offspring carried the trait on. I believe it was just drive in them that could not be held back. They were very good retrievers, well mannered, and a pleasure to hunt over, but they "peeled rubber" on takeoff for water retreives and in particularly for swimming cripples! JB

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post

Is this frustration on his part not being able to get there fast enough , or competiveness on his part with the other dogs being around, or?
    Probably a little of both

How old is he?
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    How old is he?
    This is a GREAT question.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    This is a GREAT question.
    He turned 1 year old this past July 18th, so 15 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    He turned 1 year old this past July 18th, so 15 months now.
    If the dog is not vocal in any other part of training, I would give it some more time before I got concerned.

Keith

Does he do it on long marks? Those marks at the test were very close.... I would lengthen him up , and keep working in groups. Congrats on your pass
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I have had 1 year olds , 8 and 9 year old field champions master hunters, do that as they tried to walk on water to get the bird. As Keith said if it there is not a vocal issue in any other aspects of training would worry much about it. As your water marks get longer swim 200 yards then go back for another and another, it will disappear. The short ones are the exciting birds.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Does he do it on long marks? Those marks at the test were very close.... I would lengthen him up , and keep working in groups. Congrats on your pass
    Bridget

Yes they were short. Did you hear him out there in the water? He was pretty wound up coming out of the blinds at the test. On two legs etc. He didn't make any unusal sounds on the land series and didn't squeal on the first water mark where they exited and reentered that I remember, but the second water mark he squealed all the way to it, but once he had the duck and was on return he didn't squeal but was sure huffing and puffing to get back to me with it. To your question, when I train alone I do longer marks, and no he doesn't make any sounds doing those except a bit of huff and puff on return with an open mouth. The club training when he started doing this squeal in the water were also close marks come to think of it.

I will make sure I stretch them out and see what happens, thanks for the feedback and suggestion.