The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm new at this?

Default I'm new at this?

I'm new at dog training just got my first dog a chessie male 4 1/2 months old. I'm just looking for some helpful tips on things I might need. I'm on a budget so trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Wondering on e collars, and stuff like that. I got a bumper, dove dummy,mallard dummy, leash, and duck dog basics training video. Also womdering when I should start using an e collar, introducing gunfire, formal training? Like I said I'm looking for any and all advice thanks guys.

Welcome. Slow down and breathe. Take time to bond with the little fur ball and start obedience . Sit, stay, come, heel etc. Most of all enjoy the ride

Do some reading. Watch duck dawgs. Do some more reading. Watch duck dawgs again. Those are really the best helpful 'tips' I can think of.

Learn about dog training by being involved.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by draketaker View Post
    I'm new at dog training just got my first dog a chessie male 4 1/2 months old. I'm just looking for some helpful tips on things I might need. I'm on a budget so trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Wondering on e collars, and stuff like that. I got a bumper, dove dummy,mallard dummy, leash, and duck dog basics training video. Also womdering when I should start using an e collar, introducing gunfire, formal training? Like I said I'm looking for any and all advice thanks guys.
    Google for a retreiver club in your area. Find a mentor in that club and learn from your club. Stay on this site, a lot of knowledgable folks here. Also do as the others have said in this post and most importantly let your pup be a puppy, you wont need that e-collar for a long time to come.

Thanks for the info, I know it'll be a process but I'm just like every other antsy new guy I wanna get him out there, I'll be huntin alone a lot more this year, can't hardly wait to get him out there!

Quote Originally Posted by draketaker View Post
    Thanks for the info, I know it'll be a process but I'm just like every other antsy new guy I wanna get him out there, I'll be huntin alone a lot more this year, can't hardly wait to get him out there!
    To be expected on your part. Just understand that you have a diamond in the rough and quality time reaps rewards. Enjoy what you have and enjoy the journey that awaits.

I second finding a retriever club nearby to join. Club training days are ideal for intro. to gunfire; you can have your pup on lead at a distance, maybe with a member's dog nearby as dogs learn from other dogs. When pup sees another dog excited/interested in the gun noise, he'll forget to be alarmed. You'll also meet buddies to train with (and hunt with!) A good "starter" book is The 10 Minute Retriever by John & Amy Dahl (Chesapeake people). Main thing with your new pup right now is to make him think you're the source of all the good things in his life. Work on the recall and simple obedience commands like sit, kennel, etc. and remember they're like little kids: short attention spans so keep sessions short and reward with lots of praise when he gets it right. Don't overdo the hand thrown bumpers, one or two a few times a week is plenty and always quit with him wanting more.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I'm in the same boat, always had labs. I have a 4 1/2 month old that I want to get into the hunt test game and my husband wants to hunt her. I started with the Sound Beginnings DVD (which was recommended on this site to me - good place to start - very basic) by Jackie Mertens. I thought I could do it myself, but quickly figured out to be competitive, I needed help and I was afraid of training my dog the wrong way. However on the other hand, I wasn't thrilled about sending my dog away to be trained. So I found an excellent trainer who is training me along with her - and the dog is a faster learner than me!!! The tips from the pro are priceless!! I don't have a bucket load of money either to spend, so I pitch in as much as I can helping her move dogs around and get a nice discount on lessons - it just worked out that way. The benefit is I can come home and be confident that I am doing the right thing at the right time and work with my dog myself. I have found that the most reputable trainers who are in it for the breed want to spread their knowledge and help us newbies. She wasn't the only one to offer me this type of deal. Check around with the pro's in your area!!! Good Luck!!
    Carol

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Grady's Southern Dream Girl Mardi Gras "Mardi"
    Smokey's Angel Callie Girl "Callie"
    Carol's Smokey Girl "Smokey"

What are your goals?

Hunt test dog and Hunting Companion?

Hunting Companion?

Start with fun bumpers to get him INTO retrieving and insure he is coming back to you consistently. (if you have not already)

Introduce to a .22 cal blank BEFORE you take him hunting. A lot of stories of opening day hunts after the first shot, rookie dog is running back to the truck. Heard of it and seen it so be careful her. Introduce to shot after you established a good response to fun bumpers and good returns.

After a couple weeks of this, after the toss and the dog is allowed to take off to the fun bumper toss, you or a helper at a long distance 20-30 yards to either side of you, shot the 22. Watch for the response, a glance over with spirit or even if he stops with ears up, no issue, just get him back to retrieving the fun bumper. Most pups will glance over and keep on track. Either way, keep introduction by closing the distance of the shot. A bad response would be a fear response. If this happens then stop and get help before you get a gun shy dog.

Our club usually sees guys wanting help with gun shy dogs that were introduced by way of the first hunt, then they come to the club for help. This is too late as it is a project now and will take some patience to cure. Most dogs this is not an issue.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

My goals are to have a duck dog. Once I have him trained pretty good I may get into hunt test and stuff like that but that's not on my priority list right now, I'm a duck hunter and I want a duck dog. I have been thinking of looking for a pro trainer just finding the time and money is the hard part. I work 24 on and 48 off with a wife and 9 month old daughter squeezing in time to train is a chore.