The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm new at this?

Always remember family is first...The rest is having a good bond with your dog and understanding your dog. The rest will fall in place. Be careful of your expectations....Be fair and enjoy the accomplishments together.

Glad to see new people wanting to train there own dog. Just remember these key words. " slow and keep it simple in the begin. And when it's older an is confused." Like many have post on this thread. Keep it fun for the pup but It's time for obedience right now. SIT, HERE and HEAL!!!!! If the dog isn't steady at the line then it won't see what's going on in the field during training or in the hunting blind. It a balance act some times. But it has to be a STEADY dog. Believe me you will thank us all later on here if you have a steady dog. #1 teach what the command (sit,here and heal) is. Dog shouldn't be corrected for not following command if it doesn't know what command is. #2 once dog understands command be consistence with command. Meaning don't give a command if your not going enforce the command. They will test you. #3 be honest with yourself and your dog when training. Example ask yourself before you have dog do some thing can my dog do this or not. You want it to have success. So build dog up to what you going to do that's tuff. It build dogs confidences with success and yours also when it does it with out struggles. BE HONEST!!!!!! An last thing is like others have said on this thread. Find a Club or PRO to train with. They will help an teach YOU how to train your dog.

Good luck and hope to see you on the line or in a blind

Send me a PM with your contact info and I will help you get in touch with a few active chesapeake owner/trainers in the Muskogee area. Good luck with your pup!
    CH Fireweed's Major League Player (Player)***
    Red Dirt's Del Mar Grande MH (Marlin)***
    SHR Cruzan Captain Nemo JH 10/29/2003 -11/16/2009
    http://www.christinajanderson.com

Definitely get in touch with Christina. She can point you in the right direction.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Family is first for sure. I appreciate everyone being willing to give input I'm trying to soak it all in. Have started heal and sit done a couple days of it he wants to get in front of me most of the time and I have to push on his butt pretty much everytime I have him sit but we are working on it I know it'll be a long slow road but we are trying and having fun! Got me pumped for duck season be even better when he gets to go!

for basic ob get a heeling stick or something similar. A light tap on the butt with it really helps on sit once the dog has the idea of what he is supposed to do.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Use a chocker collar for your OB. With the SIT command, heel stick tap on the butt, raise the chocker up to sit the dog. Spend 20 - 30 minutes 5 days a week on OB. Remember, sit means sit so not movement out of sit. If the move, re-sit tem in the same spot to reinforce the sit command. Once sitting and staying, move away - forward they should lock down to sit. Again, any movement SIT, tap with the heeling stick on the rear, raise up on the chocker and place them back. Keep working this processes and it will start to be a consistent sitter. Since you are duck hunting, having a dog that knows sit will be a good blind partner. Once you establish Sit and stay you can then move to recall or Here by standing in front of the dog in Sit then a slight tug on the collar with the recall command. I use Here vs Come. Always us high praise on a recall and never correct negatively. They should enjoy coming to you. Also work the whistle into your OB, one tweet for Sit and three tweets for come/here.

Have fun, and like said prior, be patient and always be willing to step back to simply your training! Once you get frustrated, nobody is learning. Always finish positively with success so if it means a simple Sit and a lot of praise, end it there. Your dog will stay in tune with the training. Also, watch for boredom and inattentiveness, never push a young dogs training to the point of boredom. Go back to fun bumpers and call it a session.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"The solution is within the problem"

Quote Originally Posted by draketaker View Post
    My goals are to have a duck dog. Once I have him trained pretty good I may get into hunt test and stuff like that but that's not on my priority list right now, I'm a duck hunter and I want a duck dog. I have been thinking of looking for a pro trainer just finding the time and money is the hard part. I work 24 on and 48 off with a wife and 9 month old daughter squeezing in time to train is a chore.
    Firefighter or paramedic? Or both?
    Im a firefighter/paramedic the 24 on 48 off is a perfect schedule for training in my opinion. You have 2 days off to give quality, consistent training. Some things you will here them say you need to do every day for 5... 7....etc days in a row. I just double up on my days off without any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by draketaker View Post
    I'm new at dog training just got my first dog a chessie male 4 1/2 months old. I'm just looking for some helpful tips on things I might need. I'm on a budget so trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Wondering on e collars, and stuff like that. I got a bumper, dove dummy,mallard dummy, leash, and duck dog basics training video. Also womdering when I should start using an e collar, introducing gunfire, formal training? Like I said I'm looking for any and all advice thanks guys.
    If you are just getting started, start as if you have just brought the pup home. Be patient and keep your training sessions short because his attention span is just that. 10 minutes 3-4 times a day. Long sessions isn't always the answer. Keep it fun for him, but yet be firm in your commands. It takes time and patience.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Brakke View Post
    Use a chocker collar for your OB. With the SIT command, heel stick tap on the butt, raise the chocker up to sit the dog. Spend 20 - 30 minutes 5 days a week on OB. Remember, sit means sit so not movement out of sit. If the move, re-sit tem in the same spot to reinforce the sit command. Once sitting and staying, move away - forward they should lock down to sit. Again, any movement SIT, tap with the heeling stick on the rear, raise up on the chocker and place them back. Keep working this processes and it will start to be a consistent sitter. Since you are duck hunting, having a dog that knows sit will be a good blind partner. Once you establish Sit and stay you can then move to recall or Here by standing in front of the dog in Sit then a slight tug on the collar with the recall command. I use Here vs Come. Always us high praise on a recall and never correct negatively. They should enjoy coming to you. Also work the whistle into your OB, one tweet for Sit and three tweets for come/here.

Have fun, and like said prior, be patient and always be willing to step back to simply your training! Once you get frustrated, nobody is learning. Always finish positively with success so if it means a simple Sit and a lot of praise, end it there. Your dog will stay in tune with the training. Also, watch for boredom and inattentiveness, never push a young dogs training to the point of boredom. Go back to fun bumpers and call it a session.
    What's a chocker collar?

I had to do it.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.