RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dobbs vs. Carr collar conditioning methods

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  twall 
#1 ·
I recently started reading Mike Lardy's articles and the smartworks program and the collar conditioning program is a lot different than the Dobbs method that I have used on my previous dogs. I call it the Carr method, but there may be a more accurate name for it. I guess the method the Dobbs use where the dog learns to turn the stimulation off by quickly executing the command makes sense to me, I am not sure I understand the Carr method. Can one of you explain to me how the Carr method is better, or if it is better than the the Dobbs method? Or is it just different? Thanks.

#2 ·
I recently started reading Mike Lardy's articles and the smartworks program and the collar conditioning program is a lot different than the Dobbs method that I have used on my previous dogs. I call it the Carr method, but there may be a more accurate name for it. I guess the method the Dobbs use where the dog learns to turn the stimulation off by quickly executing the command makes sense to me, I am not sure I understand the Carr method. Can one of you explain to me how the Carr method is better, or if it is better than the the Dobbs method? Or is it just different? Thanks.[/QUOTE

Understand that in a nutshell...One is continuous until comply and the other is to let the dog think about and then comply.

My two cents....:)

#3 ·
I've used the Dobbs method of collar conditioning and collar training with cold burns. It does work. It'll freak out some dogs.

I have also used the Lardy total retriever training method. Go with the Lardy stuff, it's much easier on the dog and you have a much better chance getting a more willing partner and worker out of it.

#4 ·
let me give you a brief anectdotal history lesson which might give you an answer to your question

I also must disclose the Jim Dobbs is a long time friend of the family so you can decide for yourself as to the accuracy of my info...

Jim was at one time a Rex Carr assistant...they parted ways amidst philosophical differences..Rex's success is well chronicled and sometimes takes on a larger than life personna, but IMO some of his students took his teachings to a whole higher level of greatness..

Jim went on and carved out quite a career of his own including what was once considered one of the leading authorities on E Collar training in his Tri Tronics book that he did with Alice Woodyard, Phyliss Dobbs and Jerome Robinson...I have been told that if he were to re write the book today he would do things differently but not specifically what chapters might be different

You could get into a long urinating match trying to decide who developed what or whose method is a hybrid of whose..in some form or another they are all hybrids of the "Carr methods" but if you ever got to train with some of his original students and even some of his proteges like Bill Sargenti or Dave Rorem they have all put there own version on some original concepts..in many ways its like people trying to interpret the Bible, they might all agree on the overall premise of the book, but differ on the teachings and meanings of the text;)

#6 ·
Exactly......to quote you from an earlier statement " Dobbs has forgotten more about training dogs than some will ever learn"..

#9 ·
Jim Dobbs is an excellent dog trainer. I have been to a couple of his seminars, including one a club I was in hosted. Jim trained each dog as the dog needed. He was very fluid and it was hard for many people to keep up what he was doing, expecially what level of the collar he was using.

I am not surprised to hear that he has continued to change the way he trains. Jim and Phyllis were as nice of people you could find.

The Carr/Lardy/Rorem, etc. methods are different and less intuitive than the old Dobbs methods. Some things just don't make sense but, they work. The dogs I have trained have thrived using the Carr methods.

I think it is easier for some people who use the old Dobbs methods to nag their dog in the belief that 'low' level works. While Jim Dobbs would start at a low level he would very quickly increase when the dog stopped responding.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.