The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and question about potty training

Junior Member Quacker whacker 2's Avatar

Default Introduction and question about potty training

I am new to this site and a proud owner of a chessie female which is 5 months old. She has a great amount of drive, is very smart and just a pleasure to be around. Unfortunately, we are having a difficult time getting this dog potty trained. She did get a UTI which has caused her to tinkle from time to time and while we are super consistent with her routine and taking her out constantly, she never really let's us know when she needs to go out. We praise her, we remain consistent and yet she still has a tendency to dribble when she is walking and actually squat and pee for no apparent reason. Frustrated is an understatement. We have moved her kennel closer to the door so she doesn't have a chance to dribble in the house on the way out of her kennel. My concern is that she has pottied so many times in the house that she hasn't differentiated from inside vs out. Does that make any sense? I've always had labs and dogs and never had such a difficult time getting a dog potty trained. I'm looking for any advice I can get on this one. Cheesiest are different than labs, and I'm going to really enjoy this journey. She is obedient and a great deal of fun with tons of potential. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quacker whacker 2 View Post
    I am new to this site and a proud owner of a chessie female which is 5 months old. She has a great amount of drive, is very smart and just a pleasure to be around. Unfortunately, we are having a difficult time getting this dog potty trained. She did get a UTI which has caused her to tinkle from time to time and while we are super consistent with her routine and taking her out constantly, she never really let's us know when she needs to go out. We praise her, we remain consistent and yet she still has a tendency to dribble when she is walking and actually squat and pee for no apparent reason. Frustrated is an understatement. We have moved her kennel closer to the door so she doesn't have a chance to dribble in the house on the way out of her kennel. My concern is that she has pottied so many times in the house that she hasn't differentiated from inside vs out. Does that make any sense? I've always had labs and dogs and never had such a difficult time getting a dog potty trained. I'm looking for any advice I can get on this one. Cheesiest are different than labs, and I'm going to really enjoy this journey. She is obedient and a great deal of fun with tons of potential. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Giving potty training advice over the internet is very difficult. She sounds like she has a case of "submissive urination". My advice is 1) be very patient and even tempered around her , 2) carry her from the crate outside and 3) Use an enzymatic cleaner on the spots she peed on. Don't use ammonia because that will attract her to pee there again. I think if you are patient and positive and don't allow her feet to touch the ground out of the crate it will stop.

I have had 2 females with an inverted vulva which caused UTI's and bacterial infections in the area. My vet gave me a cleaning solution to keep the area clean and dry after they urinate. Once they come into "heat", the problem is solved. You may push the vet to culture the urine and try another go around of antibiotics. Try to get an odor and spot remover product to clean up the house or get it professionally cleaned.

I am wondering the same thing as MIChessies---perhaps your pup is still suffering from UTIs. How is she in the crate, does she hold it ok in there? Spin's idea about carrying pup from crate to outside sounds good---this should make it more black and white that peeing is to be done outside. Also, as soon as she starts to pee in the house, quick scoop her up and bring her outside, praise her.
    Renee P

Appreciate all of the advice. She is consistently peeing in the kennel if she is there more than a couple of hours. She is in the kennel on work days but let out at least once during the day at lunch.

I just have to ask how you get your pup to pee in the pot? Does she flush?
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by MIChessies View Post
    I have had 2 females with an inverted vulva which caused UTI's and bacterial infections in the area. My vet gave me a cleaning solution to keep the area clean and dry after they urinate. Once they come into "heat", the problem is solved. You may push the vet to culture the urine and try another go around of antibiotics. Try to get an odor and spot remover product to clean up the house or get it professionally cleaned.
    My CLF had these same issues problem resolved itself after the first heat. While she was tinkling in the house it wasn't like a emptying of the bladder. Just be diligent with cleaning up after her and continue being consistent of your habits putting her outside. The fact that she is doing this in her kennel leads me to believe its something beyond her control.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Is the crate the right size? Make sure her crate isn't too big---she should not have enough room to pee in one spot and sleep in another, just enough to sleep.

Otherwise, at 5 months of age, if she can't hold it for 2 or 3 hours and is pissing on herself in the crate, I'd be concerned she has something medical going on.
    Renee P

We got our chessie female over a year ago and let me be the first to say it took us along time to potty train her. my wife was at the breaking point it took about 4 months now with that being said we were not the best at it. We let our dogs outside all day and they do what they want but then at night they come inside we never made a big distinction between inside and outside if you get my drift so we had some issues there but they will come around and your right they are not labs. carry her from her crate to the door in the mornings to prevent accidents and we had to make her crate supper small to prevent peeing in it. at one point i had 2 old kitty litter buckets in a intermediate sized crate with her to prevent peeing. she would make it a week and then i would take one out if she peed in there during the next week i put one back in. good luck and don't give up sometimes with a chessie all you need to do is look at them and they know. don't loose your temper over it you will only make it worse and they will remember it.
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

Thanks again. The crate is going to be reduced to encourage her to not soil the kennel. She is getting to big to carry already! She does the submissive pee thing but that's more tolerable than squatting in the house. It really has been frustrating. We are going to see if something else medieval May be going on, again. We'll keep you posted and all suggestions are appreciated and welcome. Thank you!