The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction and question about potty training

Junior Member Quacker whacker 2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quacker whacker 2 View Post
    Thanks again. The crate is going to be reduced to encourage her to not soil the kennel. She is getting to big to carry already! She does the submissive pee thing but that's more tolerable than squatting in the house. It really has been frustrating. We are going to see if something else medieval May be going on, again. We'll keep you posted and all suggestions are appreciated and welcome. Thank you!
    . That should have read medical, not medieval? We will call the vet tomorrow.

I had a lab with similar issues and had all the usual culprits checked out as mentioned above. I do not rememember all the symptoms but I recall the pup was also drinking alot of water. After blood tests and ultrasound, diagnosis was a kidney issue called pile nephritis. Surgery corrected the issue and the dog lived a healthy life. This condition is probably not common, but may be worth looking into if the more common causes are ruled-out.
    Jeff

Junior Member Quacker whacker 2's Avatar

Thanks again for everyone's input. Our Chessie has a UTI infection. Urine in the bladder is not clean and is showing a high white blood cell count. That may be the issue. She is on antibiotics for a couple of weeks. She has generally shown improvement over the past week regarding the potty problems. I think we're almost there. Thanks again!

Glad you found out it was a UTI. I too was thinking that by 5 mos. most of my CBRs have been too big to carry outside! Another thing to remember is that when they're in an outdoor kennel where they can relieve themselves whenever they feel the urge, it's harder for them to learn to hold it. I had a rescue dog that was older when I got her and had always been a kennel dog. Took awhile to teach her not to pee inside and even longer to get her to go out in the fields and not do her business on the driveway or walkway because she'd lived on concrete her whole life.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981