The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Bark when leaving line on blinds

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Mary Lynn, what would you do if/when he barked on the way out, then popped or came back on his own?
    I don't know what she would do but I would look up from the bottom of the very deep hole I dug a realize I had programmed the dog that way!
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    You answered your own question.

Step into the blind three or four steps so he's lined up correctly and launch him. Deal with the initial line if it's off. Handle with attrition only (except go, stop come) and see what happens.

Don't frustrate him so much. See what happens.
    I to would just line him up and kick him off and handle remotely. try it and tell use what happened.

Keith

Dog training is recognizing which battles need to be fought and knowing which can be left alone. That's why internet training advice is tough, someone may have had a vocal dog they ignored until it was too late, so they are hypersensitive to the problem. Someone else may have seen a problem like yours made worse by dealing with it the wrong way.

We've all given our best advise based only on a few paragraphs description of the problem. I wish I were there to help, but this is the best I can do long distance.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Dog training is recognizing which battles need to be fought and knowing which can be left alone. That's why internet training advice is tough, someone may have had a vocal dog they ignored until it was too late, so they are hypersensitive to the problem. Someone else may have seen a problem like yours made worse by dealing with it the wrong way.

We've all given our best advise based only on a few paragraphs description of the problem. I wish I were there to help, but this is the best I can do long distance.

John
    I think your bark and spinning might be two different issues. Most of that kind of stuff shows up early on the TT in basics. If the dog has had some poorly timed burns, if a e-collar dog, sometimes that will bring it on. My daughter has a MH that I did the basics on. No problem until she attended a seminar with prominent pro, the dog was forced with the collar and she barked off the line. The pro told her it would eventualy go away. She was retired a few years ago with the same barking issue on blinds. She sent her with a Pro on a winter trip and he couldn't get it out of her. She tried to send her again with the same Pro and he declined to take the dog, (this Pro won the National Open) so he was obviously good at training. We tried many things, nothing seemed to help. She ran many master tests and passed many. If she went out it would be on her blindwork. My daughter had to tiptoe around the barking issue in training so her blinds were never stellar. What pressure creates pressure cannot fix most of the time. What better dog trainers then myself have suggested, three times is a habit good or bad so it doesn't take much. Remote casts sometimes help, but, that was just a bandaid, the dog would then bark off the cast. BB blinds and known blinds sometimes helped. I had a all-age dog with about 18 all-age points many years ago that would bark once when handled off a poison bird. We lived with it as my daughter lived with her Master Hunter. Others might have more suggestions, we know what started the barking pressure, what we couldn't do was shut it off. Keep searching. I do know calling back with a bark, on a blind, is just more pressure and could contribute yet another issue, No goes! Marks are viewed differently by dogs when called back for noise. Just my thoughts.
    Earl Dillow

I train with Jerry a good bit. I too suggested to stop fussing so much on lining him and just kick him off. This dogs basics was thorough. 8 months ago this dog was running great blinds and marking was awesome. A little pressure and he went south a little. His marking has even dropped off. He has had some medical issues as well and I believe this has compounded the problems. He had a testicle that didn't drop and has since been nurtured. He was also laid up a few weeks due to a bad cut foot. To me he just isn't the same dog but shows signs at times of his previous self. I think Jerry will get him back to his old(still young) self. Keep training Jerry and take the suggestions you have been given and he will be fine. He is yellow so that is against him lol. I like this dog alot and I like black dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    I think your bark and spinning might be two different issues. Most of that kind of stuff shows up early on the TT in basics. If the dog has had some poorly timed burns, if a e-collar dog, sometimes that will bring it on. My daughter has a MH that I did the basics on. No problem until she attended a seminar with prominent pro, the dog was forced with the collar and she barked off the line. The pro told her it would eventualy go away. She was retired a few years ago with the same barking issue on blinds. She sent her with a Pro on a winter trip and he couldn't get it out of her. She tried to send her again with the same Pro and he declined to take the dog, (this Pro won the National Open) so he was obviously good at training. We tried many things, nothing seemed to help. She ran many master tests and passed many. If she went out it would be on her blindwork. My daughter had to tiptoe around the barking issue in training so her blinds were never stellar. What pressure creates pressure cannot fix most of the time. What better dog trainers then myself have suggested, three times is a habit good or bad so it doesn't take much. Remote casts sometimes help, but, that was just a bandaid, the dog would then bark off the cast. BB blinds and known blinds sometimes helped. I had a all-age dog with about 18 all-age points many years ago that would bark once when handled off a poison bird. We lived with it as my daughter lived with her Master Hunter. Others might have more suggestions, we know what started the barking pressure, what we couldn't do was shut it off. Keep searching. I do know calling back with a bark, on a blind, is just more pressure and could contribute yet another issue, No goes! Marks are viewed differently by dogs when called back for noise. Just my thoughts.

Couldn't agree more.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Is spinning in the family line?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I would not call the dog back. I would put bumper piles down in the field and do momentum blinds. You put the pile of bumpers at different points so that you can quickly kick the dog off. Start handling to the one that is in the closest direction to where you started from. No fussing at the line. The purpose of the blind is just to get him moving. Worry about the handling later.

should the dog start spinning, give it a vocal "back" just when you see him start to turn his head and look back at you prior to the bark. Timing is critical. You may want to try a very low level Nick. Such as a two. But I would not give him a high amount of collar pressure. This would only increase anxiety.

I have a dog did did this when I got him back from a pro. It seems that he wanted to turn and bitch at me. It made him a very confident blind running dog. Momentum blinds can be awesome.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I would not call the dog back. I would put bumper piles down in the field and do momentum blinds.
    Please read and re-read this comment several times for impact. There are times for the "no-no" procedure. This isn't one of them. Momentum is far easier to maintain than to reestablish.

"Leave something in it for the dog." Rex Carr

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I would not call the dog back. I would put bumper piles down in the field and do momentum blinds. You put the pile of bumpers at different points so that you can quickly kick the dog off. Start handling to the one that is in the closest direction to where you started from. No fussing at the line. The purpose of the blind is just to get him moving. Worry about the handling later.

should the dog start spinning, give it a vocal "back" just when you see him start to turn his head and look back at you prior to the bark. Timing is critical. You may want to try a very low level Nick. Such as a two. But I would not give him a high amount of collar pressure. This would only increase anxiety.

I have a dog did did this when I got him back from a pro. It seems that he wanted to turn and bitch at me. It made him a very confident blind running dog. Momentum blinds can be awesome.
    I can agree with this method but I still think you need to address the issue of barking and why it occurred.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray