The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: Single Bark when leaving line on blinds

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I can agree with this method but I still think you need to address the issue of barking and why it occurred.
    So direct pressure for the barking?

  2. #32
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I can agree with this method but I still think you need to address the issue of barking and why it occurred.
    You are addressing it Mary Lynn. just indirectly. If you go about it by calling the dog back, you are going to make the spinning worse. You will increase the anxiety and create more barking. Addressing the barking directly will cause more pressure and more barking.

    How many dogs have you trained that have had this issue? I learned my approach 12 years ago, working with Greg Bartlett, who had been Bill Eckett's young dog trainer. At the time I was working with him and my dogs, he had a higher % of young dogs that turned into FCs than Jim Van Engen. No slap on Jim, I adore him. But the guy knew his dogs.

    I have pro trained dogs, dogs I've trained myself, and dogs that have issues created by pros or prior owners. I have also had the good fortune of working with some of the best in the country.

    Momentum blinds are cool regards-
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

  3. #33
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I think I would recall still if it is a blind. You want to let him know barking is not in the game.
    oh, and not only will you create more barking and spinning, I see a dog that returns to you when the going gets tough in the making. the barking will go away on its own.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 10-22-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

  4. #34
    Senior Member Duckquilizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-TN
    Posts
    923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    You are addressing it Mary Lynn. just indirectly. If you go about it by calling the dog back, you are going to make the spinning worse. You will increase the anxiety and create more barking. Addressing the barking directly will cause more pressure and more barking.

    How many dogs have you trained that have had this issue? I learned my approach 12 years ago, working with Greg Bartlett, who had been Bill Eckett's young dog trainer. At the time I was working with him and my dogs, he had a higher % of young dogs that turned into FCs than Jim Van Engen. No slap on Jim, I adore him. But the guy knew his dogs.

    I have pro trained dogs, dogs I've trained myself, and dogs that have issues created by pros or prior owners. I have also had the good fortune of working with some of the best in the country.

    Momentum blinds are cool regards-
    I find myself going to these constantly. Old marks, really old prior blinds, taught, and sometimes even sight. Anything to get the momentem rolling. No pops and not slow going. I bet there wouldn't be a bark either... I even ran one accross a LONG sod field last night with the blind out of sight. She was going for the end of the field and sounding like a horse running!
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 10-22-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    Kendall Layne

    HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

    Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Is there a step between momentum blinds/ Taught / old taught blinds and doing cold blinds again?

    I've gone back and forth a couple of times to build confidence with factors and distance, but once I go back to the cold and start lining her up for a cold, I get a bark/noise from being amped up to go and frustration with my pickiness - although I don't feel like I'm fidgeting all that long. She's trying to front seat me.

    So as I was just writing that, I realized I should do some more wagon wheels and get her desensitized to the line process again. Build the right habit of nose to toes and letting me line her up.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Mary Lynn Metras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Watford, ONT
    Posts
    3,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    So direct pressure for the barking?
    No definitely not!! I like Susan's idea.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Is there a step between momentum blinds/ Taught / old taught blinds and doing cold blinds again?

    I've gone back and forth a couple of times to build confidence with factors and distance, but once I go back to the cold and start lining her up for a cold, I get a bark/noise from being amped up to go and frustration with my pickiness - although I don't feel like I'm fidgeting all that long. She's trying to front seat me.

    So as I was just writing that, I realized I should do some more wagon wheels and get her desensitized to the line process again. Build the right habit of nose to toes and letting me line her up.
    Taught/known/momentum/pattern- Some folks like to make semantics out of it with naming it as if they came up with the idea. They've been used since the 1950's.

    There should be no handler pickiness or fidgeting because you have "taught" the dog where the blind is, you've broken it down, you've been a smart trainer and built it in steps so the difficulty can become increasingly harder as the dog progresses in training. Step up and kick the dog off handle it depending upon the flavor of the day. If momentum is needed, don't handle. If control is needed, you can handle at key locations on the blind.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    No definitely not!! I like Susan's idea.
    You originally sounded as if you were suggesting that indirect pressure was not the answer. Some old schoolers might take a dog which barks on the line, grab it's muzzle, stuff him down and use a whiffle ball bat and try to rattle a barking dog. I thought something like that was what you meant by addressing the specific issue on the line.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Solution: Line him up, then stand up straight and wait. How long? Until he settles and relaxes. Then send.
    I don't see this as addressing the problem in any way. He said the longer he waits the worse the problem becomes Please expound

  10. #40
    Senior Member Mary Lynn Metras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Watford, ONT
    Posts
    3,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    You originally sounded as if you were suggesting that indirect pressure was not the answer. Some old schoolers might take a dog which barks on the line, grab it's muzzle, stuff him down and use a whiffle ball bat and try to rattle a barking dog. I thought something like that was what you meant by addressing the specific issue on the line.
    UH that is not me! Kindness. Go easy!! Pressure caused it!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •