The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Min-T, Double-T question about Moving on ?

Default Min-T, Double-T question about Moving on ?

My 10 month old pup has been running the full Mini-T now for about 6 days without any cast refusals or mess ups, which I am happy with! But she has also started to lose drive when being sent from the side heel postion to the back pile. I am not getting any no-go's, just her momentum, and drive has went down the last few days.

I realize this is a product of the boring yard work, and can still get her motivated by forcing to pile, and a few fun bumpers, and praise will perk her up for a few sends too. BUT I have backed off the pressure mainly due to me not needing to add it for anything, due to her complining to all her casts, and whistle sits.

With her running Mini-T well for several days now, Should I move on to a Single-T or Double-T in a diffrent location to hopefully spark her drive and intrest back up ?
    I have been running Marks in the morning, with birds being in the mix atleast 2 days a week, and running T-Work in the afternoons in the back yard!

Is it time to move on ??? I feel that it is, and have recevied advice already to move on ! Just looking for other opinions.

Don't want to rush it, But want to keep her moving along, and learning.

THANKS
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

It sounds like you need to move forward. You don't need to strive for perfection. Your dog will tell you, by not performing, if you move ahead too quickly. Poor momentum/attitude can be a bad habit to develop.

Tom
    Tom Wall

If you were following Smartwork I would say you've probably already been on Mimi-T too long, and may be trying to get too much out of it. How often is this dog getting marks...with real birds?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

What about doing some marks in between the boring training?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    If you were following Smartwork I would say you've probably already been on Mimi-T too long, and may be trying to get too much out of it. How often is this dog getting marks...with real birds?

Evan
    Yes I am following Smartworks, and using Fowl Dawgs for a diffrent view, But basically the same system and schedule !
    When you say TOO LONG not sure what you mean ? From the start of establishing a pile for the mini-T to were we are today has taken about 10 to 12 days, this also includes working in the whistle sit as well. Is that too Long ? I am just trying to make sure she is solid before moving on !

Also she is getting marks everyday, We do marking, and hunting/hunt test scenerios in the morning, and T work in the afternoons. She is getting a mix of dead and shackled/wing clipped birds atleast 2 to 3 days a week, although this past week she had no birds due to we have been working on extending marks, and working a simple doubles with bumpers, but will factor in birds a few days this week!

I appreciate your help ! and steering me the right direction ! I guess I need to ask what am I looking for in her advancment to let me know when it's time to move on ? All I have read and heard is to take my time, and don't rush or polish over steps, But now since we have entered T work I keep reading to not stay at one step too long and to keep advancing, But I am afraid if I move to fast It will blow up in my face later in her training.
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

Quote Originally Posted by flipinnpitchin View Post
    Yes I am following Smartworks, and using Fowl Dawgs for a diffrent view, But basically the same system and schedule !
    When you say TOO LONG not sure what you mean ? From the start of establishing a pile for the mini-T to were we are today has taken about 10 to 12 days, this also includes working in the whistle sit as well. Is that too Long ? I am just trying to make sure she is solid before moving on !
    I got that impression. And I don't mean to discourage thoroughness. But Mini-T is something I rarely do for more than a day or two, and then take those mechanics to the full scale Single T. Trying to get too much out of Mini-T is not productive because of the small dimension of it. You get dogs that start bugging because they anticipate not being allowed to go for a while when sent. Instead, they expect to be sent and immediately stopped and start looking like your dog looks. And "no" they're similar programs, but not the same.
    Also she is getting marks everyday, We do marking, and hunting/hunt test scenerios in the morning, and T work in the afternoons. She is getting a mix of dead and shackled/wing clipped birds atleast 2 to 3 days a week, although this past week she had no birds due to we have been working on extending marks, and working a simple doubles with bumpers, but will factor in birds a few days this week!
    I would first move on to Single T, and build it carefully over a course of days. And second, shoot some flyers for her soon. Good job on marks. The problem, I believe is over-doing Mini-T.
    I appreciate your help ! and steering me the right direction ! I guess I need to ask what am I looking for in her advancement to let me know when it's time to move on ? All I have read and heard is to take my time, and don't rush or polish over steps, But now since we have entered T work I keep reading to not stay at one step too long and to keep advancing, But I am afraid if I move to fast It will blow up in my face later in her training.
    Just fundamentals; Go, stop, cast, come. I've trained many dogs that moved from 3-handed casting & CC to "sit" to Mini-T, and only did Mini-T for one day, and moved directly to Single T. If you have the Smartwork system you know how we build the T step by step, right?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile