The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maintenance mode & hunting

Default maintenance mode & hunting

Awhile back Internet priorities needed some "adjustment". The intention was to keep my dogs in shape and refocus time issues. I just couldn't do as much and our autistic Granddaughter became a major focus. Hunting was not shorted, but the dogs became more of a maintenance mode effort. Here's the first of two journal stories about this year's hunting season. My wife has been very supportive about "being gone" once in awhile.

The second split of the Iowa Openers was hectic. Most everyone is out early and many camp overnight on a shorelines or even in their boat blinds. After scouting the day before, we (Daisy and I) left at 2 am and soon discovered the spot I wanted was already taken.

The wind would have been in my face so I was not all that disappointed. After thinking over the possibility of a long run north, I decided to hunt the north end of the same island. There is an ideal "pile of logs" to snuggle the Migrator into. It was an easier hunt, too. The shallow, sandy point vs. the deep mud on the other end was a plus.

After unloading the Migrator from the tender, Daisy and I rested a bit. It was not cold and the wind had not picked up (yet). The decoys were kind of tossed out in roughly the position they would work best and we both settled into the bottom of the big rig for a snooze. An hour before shooting time, I moved the big boat about 300 yards up the shore and then walked back down the sandy beach to finalize the decoy setup. There were seven greenwing teal, three bluewing, three Dakota hen mallards and five flocked coots.

Opening day there are many naïve, young birds and spinners are the general rule. I had one teal and two remote mallards off in the distance. No ducks dropped in before shooting time which is very unusual. Even more so for any day on the river, the first shot fired was five minutes AFTER shooting time. Then it was like a war for about an hour (and mostly to the south).

Daisy and I were well hidden and soon our action began. The ducks that came in were “hot” and were probably more aware that something was different this morning. The bluewings were using their speed as protection. With my bad left shoulder and shooting from a layout position, I was a bit concerned beforehand. The ducks were not exactly decoying giving no time to think. It was "up and shoot" or just watch. Just reacting is an advantage for my style of shooting. Generally, teal are easier than mallards.

Not having anytime to think much about it, I have never shot any better (ever). There were five well spaced opportunities. Four bluewing teal and a drake mallard were dropped with three on single shots and the other two on the second follow up shot.

Daisy made quick work and was flawless with her retrieving (she had been prepped on the use of the hide on my Migrator). The immature drake mallard was the only cripple and Daisy handled the diving escape attempts like it was nothing.

Then I made the fatal mistake. My mind said, "Geez, I only need one more (for a limit)!” Things slowed down dramatically and I totally fanned on two separate mallards that buzzed the decoys. What a great morning for an old, solo hunter and his dog.

Sunday, I decided early on to go back to the same place with Gunny, it was an easy place to hunt and Gunny hasn't had any training on the use of the Migrator. However, he is very familiar with a dog hide.

Early on there was a complication. While preparing for the departure it quickly became apparent neither of my spotlights were working. This is a big deal on the Mississippi. I needed to make it down to a specific cut between two small islands, cross the main channel while avoiding a collision with a channel marker and find a specific island out of many on the Iowa side....in the dark.

The stars were out and I could see the outlines of mostly familiar islands. I was almost positive my flashlight would enable me to avoid running into any channel marker buoy. I went slowly....probing the darkness. After missing the Cable Crossing islands (normal path to the main channel), I recognized another island that would get me there if I went slowly on the north side.

Heading straight west toward the Iowa bank (a dark outline), I kept a close look for any buoys and turned south on the Iowa side. Looking east (to to my left) I was sure the island with our point was the next target. I turned east and it was a good guess. We came in “dead on” yesterday's logs.

There was an instant sense of relief. Then I became kind of smug with my good fortune and rationalized that skill had something to do with it. The day before (when the sun was out), the layout of the trip back was noted. In reality, after several years of scouting pool 13 on the Mississippi (and recovering from mistakes), this area is not as baffling as it once was.

One rule of thumb in the dark is don't ever turn around without noticing where you are in that moment. It only takes a split second to loose orientation. Another point to make is don't spend a large amount of time using a spotlight. Look at what you are doing in the dark as it really is......it looks very different and the spotlight tends to become a crutch.

After this “interesting” event, I will not press my luck again. I could very easily have spent some time sitting beside some island waiting for the sun to come up. On a final note, there now will always be a backup third spotlight at duck camp.

Gunny and I had a great morning. He did everything I asked him to. We had a lot fun in spite of the fact that not a single duck was shot at. At 9 am, I called it a morning and unloaded my gun in the bright sunlight. In the moment right as I clicked the empty receiver shut......two teal buzzed the decoys. I muttered a brief expletive and then laughed out loud. Geez! I love duck hunting. Even when things don't just play out the way you'd expect.....it's almost always fun!

These kinds of hunts keep me feeling young.

Migrator tucked into the logs

the setup

Daisy in the boat hide

Saturday's ducks

Gunny after Sunday's pickup

unlikely pairing
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Great story Jim as usual........Sounds like you and your dogs had fun.....
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Nice job Jim. Fun write up. Those bluewings will keep your abs firm in a layout.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Jim ,have the Asian carp made it to your pool yet?

We went early teal season to out new river blind and the carp where horrible, I took one to the chest hard enough to leave a bruise. Nor sure water water temp needs to be before they quite jumping ,but our river hunting days are on hold until colder water hits.

Good luck and be careful this season,the Ole' Mississippi can be your best friend ,but turn on you in a blink of an eye.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Glad to see you back on again, Jim! Was thinking of you Saturday while tromping around our marsh attempting to do some jump shooting. Was wondering about your granddaughter and if you were out hunting, too.

Nice story!

Jennifer

Great pictures and a fine story Jim.All the best.

You were sorely missed Welcome back

Great story and pictures. I wish you and your family the best.

Kendall

I grew up hunting Pool 13 (lived in Clinton, IA). I have made many trips through those islands in complete darkness at 1am on opening day, just as you described.
    HRCH Royer's Mighty Riverman Murphy (Murphy)
    HRCH Dakota's Element of Surprise (Ellie)

Good read.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).