The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with "hold"

Default Help with "hold"

I have a 7 month old blm who I have been working with. Obedience is good, Sit, Heal, and Here. I have been trying to get holds solid and haven't had great progress. I have tried different bumpers, Dowels and dokens, but I don't seem to be getting through to him. I have been working on holds for at least a solid two weeks. I can get him to hold for maybe a minute or 2 and then he starts fooling around with it and drops. Any suggestions??

Is he done teething and all adult teeth in? Could be a sore mouth. You can also try a paint roller, and try tappinng under the chin while commanding hold. A couple minutes is good actually when starting out, they need to feel a sense of success. Be patient.

Does he understand "Stay"? To me, the hold is a STAY for the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Does he understand "Stay"? To me, the hold is a STAY for the mouth.
    He does not know stay, the sit command is his stay. Maybe I am expecting to much, but I do feel he knows "hold" he just isn't cooperating...

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    I have a 7 month old blm who I have been working with. Obedience is good, Sit, Heal, and Here. I have been trying to get holds solid and haven't had great progress. I have tried different bumpers, Dowels and dokens, but I don't seem to be getting through to him. I have been working on holds for at least a solid two weeks. I can get him to hold for maybe a minute or 2 and then he starts fooling around with it and drops. Any suggestions??
    You might want to put him on the clock. If the hold is good and solid and there is no movement,Two minutes seem like a long time for him to wait for a release command. I you feel like you need him to hold it for longer, heel him around first.

Keith

H.fairhurst, I would start a retriever training program. Both Total Retriever Training and Smart Works will tell you how to teach hold and continue on from there to get an advanced retriever.

Other than that, during your regular on lead training sessions, every time he dropped the bumper/dowl I'd put it back in his mouth. No sense getting riled up over this yet, just if he drops it while heeling or sitting, calmly put it back in his mouth. If you are patient enough he'll get it. If you get riled up and mad at the dog, it'll take him longer and attitude can suffer.

Patient steady work until he gets it and then you can think about enforcing it. For now, you want him to learn and enjoy.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

That's what the rest of the program will teach...what Howard said don't fuss about it. Keep it fun.

I have been working on hold for a couple of months. She is for the most part real good now (an occasional drop). I have a canvass bumper that I use in the house. When I sit to watch some TV we work on hold. As freezland said a little tap under the chin when he looks like he's going to drop it. Just be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    You might want to put him on the clock. If the hold is good and solid and there is no movement,Two minutes seem like a long time for him to wait for a release command. I you feel like you need him to hold it for longer, heel him around first.

Keith
    Agreed, a 7 mo old that is holding for 2 minutes needs to be rewarded and encouraged

Thanks, for the feedback. I have had him with my protrainer for the last month and I am pleased with the results, but as far a following a program I really haven't due to the fact I want to be consistent with the pro. I wanted to put as much as I can into the new pup, he comes from pretty good breeding and I expect a lot out of him. I hope to have my pup back to the pro to force fetch and hope thru completion but It is a lot of expense and a little tough for my wife to understand so I want to keep progressing with him if I can.
    Thanks Again for your feedback.
    Heath