The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with "hold"

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    He does not know stay, the sit command is his stay. Maybe I am expecting to much, but I do feel he knows "hold" he just isn't cooperating...
    That's good. If he's sitting, he's staying. In case you haven't tried one, use a paint roller for a few sessions. Most pups take to them very well. I think Howard has offered excellent advice. Multiple short sessions will tend to produce better results than longer ones.

Don't be over bearing about 'hold'. You're going to get more out of the 'hold' command if you don't leave it too soon to initiate pressure for FF, but rather spend a bit of time doing walking hold. Movement will tend to disrupt the dog's focus on the task, and will provide many opportunities to shape up your hold. As that improves, periodically job while holding, and praise your dog for compliance. Frankly praise is an area most men are lacking in. I mean genuine, emotional praise your dog can really feel. The ladies excel at this, and often do a great job with younger dogs for that reason.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by H.fairhurst View Post
    I have a 7 month old blm who I have been working with. Obedience is good, Sit, Heal, and Here. I have been trying to get holds solid and haven't had great progress. I have tried different bumpers, Dowels and dokens, but I don't seem to be getting through to him. I have been working on holds for at least a solid two weeks. I can get him to hold for maybe a minute or 2 and then he starts fooling around with it and drops. Any suggestions??
    I think a lot of the problems will go away during force fetch. You will be amazed at how much better your pups hold will be after a few days of ff. Everyone has their own opinion but I would go ahead and move to ff if he can hold for over a minute, he gets what hold means. Then after you see his hold getting better during ff start doing obiedience with bumper in mouth in between ear pinches during ff. just my .02 cent

I don't spent more than 2 minutes a session on hold? I do about 5 a day.

That's a better concept for most young dogs. I just don't have time for that many sessions. About 3 daily for me.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile