RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Help with "hold"

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Evan 
#1 ·
I have a 7 month old blm who I have been working with. Obedience is good, Sit, Heal, and Here. I have been trying to get holds solid and haven't had great progress. I have tried different bumpers, Dowels and dokens, but I don't seem to be getting through to him. I have been working on holds for at least a solid two weeks. I can get him to hold for maybe a minute or 2 and then he starts fooling around with it and drops. Any suggestions??

#6 ·
H.fairhurst, I would start a retriever training program. Both Total Retriever Training and Smart Works will tell you how to teach hold and continue on from there to get an advanced retriever.

Other than that, during your regular on lead training sessions, every time he dropped the bumper/dowl I'd put it back in his mouth. No sense getting riled up over this yet, just if he drops it while heeling or sitting, calmly put it back in his mouth. If you are patient enough he'll get it. If you get riled up and mad at the dog, it'll take him longer and attitude can suffer.

Patient steady work until he gets it and then you can think about enforcing it. For now, you want him to learn and enjoy.

#7 ·
That's what the rest of the program will teach...what Howard said don't fuss about it. Keep it fun.

#8 ·
I have been working on hold for a couple of months. She is for the most part real good now (an occasional drop). I have a canvass bumper that I use in the house. When I sit to watch some TV we work on hold. As freezland said a little tap under the chin when he looks like he's going to drop it. Just be patient.

#10 ·
Thanks, for the feedback. I have had him with my protrainer for the last month and I am pleased with the results, but as far a following a program I really haven't due to the fact I want to be consistent with the pro. I wanted to put as much as I can into the new pup, he comes from pretty good breeding and I expect a lot out of him. I hope to have my pup back to the pro to force fetch and hope thru completion but It is a lot of expense and a little tough for my wife to understand so I want to keep progressing with him if I can.
Thanks Again for your feedback.
Heath

#12 ·
I think a lot of the problems will go away during force fetch. You will be amazed at how much better your pups hold will be after a few days of ff. Everyone has their own opinion but I would go ahead and move to ff if he can hold for over a minute, he gets what hold means. Then after you see his hold getting better during ff start doing obiedience with bumper in mouth in between ear pinches during ff. just my .02 cent

#13 ·
I don't spent more than 2 minutes a session on hold? I do about 5 a day.

#14 ·
That's a better concept for most young dogs. I just don't have time for that many sessions. About 3 daily for me.

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.