The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vocalization on water marks

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    I have had 1 year olds , 8 and 9 year old field champions master hunters, do that as they tried to walk on water to get the bird. As Keith said if it there is not a vocal issue in any other aspects of training would worry much about it. As your water marks get longer swim 200 yards then go back for another and another, it will disappear. The short ones are the exciting birds.
    Some whinning in the holding blind in a group or test setting, nothing on land retreives, and no unusal sounds in training when training alone. I will start stretching them out and see what happens, thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    If the dog is not vocal in any other part of training, I would give it some more time before I got concerned.

Keith
    No sound in any other part of training.

Wow, I have one with the same issues. Overlooked them as a pup. Probably a mistake. Drives me nuts! His vocalization is starting the hunt, walk, or even out the door. Luckily, it is not on retrieves, nor does he wine waiting for a retrieve. Still an obnoxious yap and squeal. Kinda embarrassing in the parking lot.

Thinking about a bark collar? I have a friend that can't hunt his dog due to the persistent whine.

Good luck to you!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

My now 5yr old whined/yipped fairly loudly while swimming to marks when she was young. One judge even commented with a big smile that while it was acceptable at the started/junior levels and showed a wonderful enthusiasm, but I would have to get it sorted for the higher stakes. Not wanting to discipline her on her way to a mark, and the fact that it was more of a whine than a bark(bark collar wasn't triggered) left me scratching my head. Just kept training and luckily as she gained confidence that she could indeed get there soon enough, the vocalization stopped. Her first season as a pup, and the second before she was 2 were the worst. the spring after she had turned 2 at the end of the previous summer-she settled right down as we lengthened the marks for seasoned/senior level work. It always seemed to me the whining was her complaining frustration that she could not swim as fast as she could run. Now only rarely does she give a very quiet little whining yip on her water entry, usually just at the beginning of the day. Good luck with your pup. Please post if you find a solution other than maturity, as I am breeding her this year and wonder if her pups may sing the same tune as they swim

I am going to give you the opposite advice. Certain lines are known for vocalizations and you have to be very careful with this. The water is resistance to them and slows them down into the water making them higher and higher and causing the noise. When dogs are young such as this one it is better to keep them out of the water and teach them to control their emotions before putting them back in that situation. Lots of land work, lots of obedience, place board work.

The more they squeal and the more you let them do it, only teaches them that it's an okay thing to do to where they don't even know that they are making noise. Keep them out of the situation until they are more mature to handle it. I have seen too many nice dogs washed up because of this and because owner thought it would just go away.

I know one a list pro who trained a dog that became a field champion at four. It didn't see any marks at all for the first year and a half of it's life. It learn to control his emotions. It was a quiet dog. Noise was never was an issue. I don't understand why people want to fight noise all the time when they could've prevented it to begin with.

my advice would be to get help with a good pro to help you sort out what your best approach would be.

this is not an area for Internet advice. For all you know, some of these people have noisy dogs themselves. Nice dogs have been bounced out of nationals for noise issues.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I wish I had known it was you , I would've introduced myself. Yep I heard him , even looked him up to see who he was out of.
    Go long, it should help. When you do go short , do it with no gun fire, no hey hey and keep it as unexciting as possible with maybe just a quiet "hup" to get the dog's attention
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

The trouble with the forum training is the trouble with the forum training...We don't get the whole picture. The noise was apparently loud enough to bring attention to others while you were running the dog. I thought we were all about a slight whine as they went for the bird. Apparently the dog is houndlike chasing rabbits and has other issues. I have to go along with Susan (Justice Dog ) on this one. See post #15.
    My thinking was a soft puppy whine that many competitive dogs carry to their grave on short exciting birds. This is apparently not the case with your dog. Just a thought.
    Earl Dillow

LOL NO Freeze had it right , the dog SQUEALED like a pig !!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Susan, I may have inadvertently followed your advice by keeping my dog out of water! I live in Maine and the water is too cold or too hard ;( frozen solid! to use for training many long months of the year. During winter I concentrate on obedience that can be accomplished indoors and during our long walks in the snow. So maybe what I attributed to maturity was a combination of these other factors. I often forget most of you on this site live places you can train year round. If I can get 9 full months per year on land, and 8 months of water warm enough to train in, I am very lucky. So when I mention "season" in my post, I am not referring just to HT season! My HT season is May-Sept, with actual hunting season Oct-Jan. So Jan-April is almost all "downtime" a factor that apparently influences my training in more ways than I have imagined.