The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornfields, young dog, and pheasant hunting

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    No, I dont take it as harsh. Was just asking a simple question on my part if a dog can get disoriented. I totally agree a dog should be recalled trained, especially to the whistle. Not all whistles are good, so investing in a good one is vitally important so they do hear it. Especially in wind. Finding their way back from miles is the exception, generally not the rule. Thats not to say they are not smarter than we think as you said. I know I can get turned around in the woods, I would think it is potentially possible for a dog too as well in high cover.

I wouldn't let a dog run in to standing corn to begin with either, even if I thought the dog was smart enough to push a bird back out to me. I think the OP will never forget her experience with ther dog getting in to the corn. I am very happy for her that she recovered it.

Beeper collar with on/off is great to and definitly preferable to a bell. My point was being able to find the dog, not everyone has their dogs trained to the level that we hope we do.

Bottom line is they should be trained to recall, no doubt about it. I think we can all agree on that fact. And if not they should not be out there.
    The Dallesasse and the Green Monster whistles have the longest range but you need a lot of air to blow them. You need less air for the Roy Gonia megawhistle which lets you trill it longer so that the dog has a better chance of picking up the continuous sound as it is running in and out of cover or water.

I got a longer range Tritronics e collar and Dallesasse whistle after my dog, as a young pup, took off after birds and went out of range in training. I often wear 3 whistles---the Mega, Dallessasse and Acme just to be prepared!
    Renee P

The TriTronics Upland unit can be paired with a beeper . It can be programmed for several different sounds and can be heard for a LONG distance.
    Considering the mental anguish for a permanently lost dog, it is a cheap price to pay.
    http://www.tritronics.com/upland-spe...3-exp-new.html
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

you were hunting right?
    dog with sub-par recall runs into tall stuff and out of sight and you have no collar and whistle is drowned out.....
    but your hunting right?
    simply fire your shotgun a couple times in the air and yell "It's over here"
    Fido will bust out of the cover and look for the bird.
    it works
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I have hunted cornfields in the past and have never had this happen before.
    He is 14 months old and very enthusiastic in everything he does. I trained him all summer long and rarely refused to come when called.
    I do have a tone button on my tritronics but it's only loud enough for the dog to hear.
    I trained him to quarter with the tone of the collar instead of whistle. When he hears the tone he knows to quarter back. In late season pheasants will flush to the sound of a whistle so that's why all my dogs have been trained that way.
    I really think he was just disorientated. If you have ever been in dry corn it is very loud and with the wind at 20-30 mph I honestly don't think he could hear the whistle or at least where it was coming from. Yeah he could hear the collar tone but I don't think he knew which way to go. It was my fault for letting him going there in the 1st place, and I can honestly say after getting in there with his youthful enthusiasm he was thinking (if labs are capable) where the hell am I?
    He is a really good dog.
    I just didn't know if I should stay in the same area or going running around like a fool like I did at first. That's when my friends told me to calm down and stay in the last place I saw him and they would drive around looking for him.
    He did end up coming out of cornfield ~25 yds from where I'd last seen him. Are they capable of retracing their steps? I don't have a clue. I had stop calling him by then and was only sitting there when I heard him knocking through the corn. Then started again to call him and whistle for him.
    I like the idea of trying to couple the tritronics locating beeper to his collar. I only have the tritronics sport basic 3G.
    I'm afraid the bell not only would frighten pheasants it would drive me crazy as well, and as you can tell I'm kinda a nut case already.

Thanks for your suggestions, really really appreciate it.

This is my 1st high drive dog and maybe he wasn't 100% prepared for wild birds running like that. But again I take the responsibility of letting him get in there in the 1st place. I was hoping he was going to flush a bird for me! Greedy, stupid me, Maria

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    you were hunting right? dog with sub-par recall runs into tall stuff and out of sight and you have no collar and whistle is drowned out..... but your hunting right? simply fire your shotgun a couple times in the air and yell "It's over here" Fido will bust out of the cover and look for the bird. it works
    Remember, I was running around panicking, it's hard to think of something that simple when your doing that!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    .... Are they capable of retracing their steps?....
    very, and when you need to go home without your dog 'cause of dark. Leave your undershirt the last place you saw him. Come back at first light and he will be on your shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    Remember, I was running around panicking, it's hard to think of something that simple when your doing that!
    been there, done that.... just sucks!
    but it can be that simple, my Dad used to call back the hounds with a .38
    just think what is the loudest thing you had with you? Your gun.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

My parents hunt with a bell on their dogs.( not a cow bell but it is for dogs) and can attest that it does NOT scare the pheasants. They get a lot of roosters every fall.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    My parents hunt with a bell on their dogs.( not a cow bell but it is for dogs) and can attest that it does NOT scare the pheasants. They get a lot of roosters every fall.
    I don't know if it scares them but pressured birds can track where a dog is better if it's sporting a bell. Lotsa people get birds just like lots people get wild flushes and long walks behind a dog till a bird might get forced to flush. Lotta people walk a straight line behind a working dog too.

I'd stay with a no bell policy on wild birds - there's really no reason to put one on a dog that works in gun range.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Would you stay in last spot you saw him or go crazy like I did until my friends calmed me down? I would stay in the last spot I saw him and hopefully he would backtrack eventually.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Leave your undershirt the last place you saw him. Come back at first light and he will be on your shirt.
    My "friends" are such animals they would hide Fin just to see me get down to my underpinnings! Then they would be laying there when I came back. Animals! I won't tell them that suggestion but will keep it in mind if god forbid it ever happens again. I can only laugh about it now that it came out to ok...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Would you stay in last spot you saw him or go crazy like I did until my friends calmed me down? I would stay in the last spot I saw him and hopefully he would backtrack eventually.
    Yeah, I think maybe it was an ok call to sit and wait. As hard as it was to do. Thanks all for the help! Maria
    Last edited by uplandbird; 10-21-2013 at 11:53 PM.