The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Intro

Default Intro

Hey guys. I wanted to introduce myself. I will be getting my first lab in January and will be going to check the parents out this weekend. I am very ready to begin the training process. It looks like you guys are full of advice. I will post pictures of the pup as soon as possible. Until then hopefully I can gain some knowledge by poking around.

Welcome to rtf. Where do you hail from?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Welcome. What are your plans for your pup? Hunting? Hunt tests? Field trials?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

I am from a small town between Tampa and Orlando. I am really going to focus on making the dog a good hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by laneb15 View Post
    Hey guys. I wanted to introduce myself. I will be getting my first lab in January and will be going to check the parents out this weekend. I am very ready to begin the training process. It looks like you guys are full of advice. I will post pictures of the pup as soon as possible. Until then hopefully I can gain some knowledge by poking around.

Hello Laneb and welcome. Good luck with the new addition

Quote Originally Posted by laneb15 View Post
    I am from a small town between Tampa and Orlando. I am really going to focus on making the dog a good hunter.
    I would highly recommend that you find your local Hunting Retriever Club (HRC) club and go to some club training days or even an event such as a hunt test. Even if you never run your dog in a hunt test, you may be able to hook up with some folks to train with and that will be invaluable. Also it will probably open your eyes as to what these dogs are really capable of. You may even have multiple HRC clubs and/or AKC retriever clubs in your area. I recommend going to training days with both, even before you get your pup if they are having training days (many times there are no club training days during the actual hunting season). When I started training my first retriever I had no intention of running hunt tests, but I found that it extended my "hunting season", the dog loved it, I had fun and met some great folks and I wound up with a better hunting dog than I ever would have because I was training to a higher standard than I would have originally because I was trying to meet the standards that the judges would be upholding.

Have fun with your new pup.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Welcome to rtf!

Which small town are you in between Tampa and Orlando? Central florida HRC has monthly training days one being this Saturday and a hunt test December 7-8. Website is down but can check out the club on Facebook.

Laneb15,
    Welcome to RTF! Enjoy your new pup and good luck with your Lab.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler