The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the SRS, will it hang on?

Default What's up with the SRS, will it hang on?

I love the concept of the SRS but it seems like it is in some ways dying out. There is one in Tennessee next weekend and only 16 dogs where in the open from 3 pros and 6 amateurs. They have had a few events around here (TN,NC,SC) and there seems like there have been a few more this year. However, it looks like it is getting smaller and smaller. It use to be that there where 7-8 PROs that made it there bread and butter which was a problem in and of itself but now it seems to be down to 4-5 on a regular basis. Anyone have any insight?

The SRS will continue. The event this weekend is a victim of an almost "perfect storm". Pros are still in post Grand mode. Many also ran the Master National. After 2 different weeks of that level of stress a break is needed. Most of the SRS pros are hunt testers first & almost all run the Grand & or the Master National. There is an AKC test with an OH Q this weekend.

I ran the event in Tennessee last year & had a blast. Would be running it this year on any other weekend. From the guys I train with we took 3 amateurs & 1 pro. 5 amateur dogs & that many pro dogs. All of us will be working/running at the cattle ranch this weekend.
    Mark Land

I also noticed that they have not been on TV either... according to their facebook page that is being resolved though. I agree with you, the format is awesome and the dogs are incredible being so versatile between the hunt test and trial concepts. I am in the midwest so the venue doesn't get up my way, but i'd love to see more of it. Curious to see what kind of responses come on this thread.

I think they need a super national and some sort of numbers behind a title to make I worth attending anymore

the event needs to use real birds

Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    Yep! I think the lack of real birds eliminates some of the real challenges our retrievers face at HT, FTs and hunting - and keeps some of us who might otherwise take a shot at SRS on the sidelines. I judged and SRS event this summer & would have much preferred real birds. The downside, I guess, is bird costs but with the reduced Avery participation, there might not be a real downside with SRS unless there is some other contractual obligations involved.
    David Didier, GA

what was the methodology behind using avery product anyway (meaning bumpers or hexbirds)? was it strictly a sponsor/money thing? Was there any advantage technically speaking? Keeps scent and drag back out of the picture?

From what I hear and take it for what its worth was that they used dummies instead of birds for PETA. Being aired on ESPN didnt want the hassle of dealing with them by using actual birds. Just rumor I have heard take it for what its worth.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Good to see you still on Brett, hope all is good with the family and Marley..... How is he doing?
    Rich Yakab

"If a mistake is made at least you know someone is trying"
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!

Dixie Runs Bootleggin' White Lightning "Remi" 9/23/12

Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    I agree. They have used mallards in some of the non televised events.
    Mark Land