The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the SRS, will it hang on?

Club events that are not televised can choose to use real birds.

A lot of pro handlers are preparing for the Crown Championship Halloween weekend.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Thanks Rich, Marley is doing great!!! He is coming along and hopefully ready for opening weekend here the first part of November.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Yep! I think the lack of real birds eliminates some of the real challenges our retrievers face at HT, FTs and hunting - and keeps some of us who might otherwise take a shot at SRS on the sidelines. I judged and SRS event this summer & would have much preferred real birds. The downside, I guess, is bird costs but with the reduced Avery participation, there might not be a real downside with SRS unless there is some other contractual obligations involved.
    Why do they need to use real birds? What challenge does a real bird give to a dog that is competing at a high level? Old falls and drag back? I understand it challenging a started dog, but not a finished, Master level, or QAA which is usually what run SRS.

I have some big interest in SRS but don't see many opportunities around my area. If I were to put one on I would love the idea of no real birds. It can be a huge cost savings!

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    From what I hear and take it for what its worth was that they used dummies instead of birds for PETA. Being aired on ESPN didnt want the hassle of dealing with them by using actual birds. Just rumor I have heard take it for what its worth.
    That actually makes total sense... without question there would be someone making a stink about dead birds being retrieved on television...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Toti View Post
    Why do they need to use real birds? What challenge does a real bird give to a dog that is competing at a high level? Old falls and drag back? I understand it challenging a started dog, but not a finished, Master level, or QAA which is usually what run SRS.

I have some big interest in SRS but don't see many opportunities around my area. If I were to put one on I would love the idea of no real birds. It can be a huge cost savings!
    Are you being serious, or just trying to be funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaneder1 View Post
    what was the methodology behind using avery product anyway (meaning bumpers or hexbirds)? was it strictly a sponsor/money thing? Was there any advantage technically speaking? Keeps scent and drag back out of the picture?
    The original event was the ESPN Outdoor Games and they used Docken's. One of the first, if not the first event was at Tom Docken's place in Northfield.

Whay or when in morphed to the SRS I do not know, but the rubber birds were used because of being broadcast. Avery dropped out a couple of years ago. Our Club event was down quite a bit this year and we have used Dockens for the past 3 years.

The disdussion has come up about using birds, but it does present some problems.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Just saw where Banded is a new sponsor for the SRS.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

I hope your joking. If not hopefully in the sauce?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Toti View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    I hope your joking. If not hopefully in the sauce?
    Dead serious. A shot flier possibly a distraction.....a dead old ragged bird, not really for a high level dog. If the dog is trained to the level it needs to be it should be able to run a blind off a poison bird no matter if it's a dead bird, live bird, or a dry cow chip. If the dog can't handle drag back or poison birds then it shouldn't be running at that level.

I just don't see it being a game changer at a high level.

But back to the question I asked. Why do they need to use real birds? What challenge does a real bird give to a dog thats competing at a high level that a dokken doesn't?

Does a dog mark a dead bird differently than it does a bumper or a dokken?

Not talking about some dead old draggled out pen raised hen. When you think you have a marking fool on your hands - watch someone that knows the game turn that marking fool into a plain old fool with a fully operational, just fired up biggo Kansas style rooster screaming his head off and a full 7 gun salute to send his noisy ass to the afterworld. If you have one that doesn't come a bunch unglued- give him to the little girl down the street and start over. The sad part is that it is almost axiomatic that the better the dog the more influenced by live birds. If you haven't managed to see the effects an exciting flyer can have on a dog well.................

You need to get out more regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci