The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the SRS, will it hang on?

Lonnie,

1) you can train a dog not to break or creep, sometimes yep
    2) breaking and creeping is inherently bred into some dogs, Sometimes yep. Example I am helping train a HRCH MH right now with happy feet. Her momma had em and so does her sister. 3 out of 4 dogs(that I wont name their FC AFC sire bc of name calling) I've seen run in the last month, act like theyre standing on hot coals at the line. Not a coincidence, Genetic. FYI dont breed that dog you brought to the grand.....please! Haha Jk jk
    3) breaking and creeping is inherently bred into some dogs but you can change your training (if you aren't too proud)and correct the problem? You can try whatevers neccesary(roping em at a test, beating the snot out of em, or burning em up)but it more than likey wont fix genetics

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Toti View Post
    No doubt they all break. But break often and creep very often? Change your training or if you're too proud for that then send the dog packing....preferrably to someone who is smart enough not to breed it.
    My point was more what you witness at a test/trial isn't always a good indicator of how the dog performs training or hunting. I have owned such test wise dogs.

These games regularly provide me with a healthy dose of humility. I have used that to change my training & am perfectly satisfied with the end product.

Of the posters i know on this thread, myself & Brett are the only ones who step up to the line at SRS & other venues. My SRS experience is limited to 2 events. There is a HUGE difference in using birds & bumpers. Handled a dog in Tennessee last year that just couldn't dig a rubber duck out of heavy cover. Went directly to the area of the fall but hunted back out of the cover. Handling back to the area already thoroughly hunted was rough. Same dog a few weekends ago would not look past the short flyer station to the long bird. Resulted in a very short trial for her. In the SRS, I am certain she would have seen the mark.
    Mark Land

I bet that Mark will be glad to know that if he changes his training methods, Annie could dramatically add HRC points to 500+ she already has and maybe add the 3rd Master National plate. Rose could possibly reach 500 and add 2 more plates to the 1 she got this year.

Lets recap this thread Friday night after the Q while we are sitting around the White House.
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    My point was more what you witness at a test/trial isn't always a good indicator of how the dog performs training or hunting. I have owned such test wise dogs.

These games regularly provide me with a healthy dose of humility. I have used that to change my training & am perfectly satisfied with the end product.

Of the posters i know on this thread, myself & Brett are the only ones who step up to the line at SRS & other venues. My SRS experience is limited to 2 events. There is a HUGE difference in using birds & bumpers. Handled a dog in Tennessee last year that just couldn't dig a rubber duck out of heavy cover. Went directly to the area of the fall but hunted back out of the cover. Handling back to the area already thoroughly hunted was rough. Same dog a few weekends ago would not look past the short flyer station to the long bird. Resulted in a very short trial for her. In the SRS, I am certain she would have seen the mark.
    So they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Thanks for the experienced input!
    Last edited by Nick Toti; 10-23-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Looked on the SRS website and their Facebook page. Doesn't look like you can easily get much of a schedule or routine of when they hold the events. If it was more visible it may help entries.

So they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Thanks for the experienced input!
    You have 2 ears & 1 mouth.

Looked on the SRS website and their Facebook page. Doesn't look like you can easily get much of a schedule or routine of when they hold the events. If it was more visible it may help entries.
    Use the search function on Entry Express with the key word of "super. All the listed events are there.
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

Quote Originally Posted by Splash_em View Post
    I bet that Mark will be glad to know that if he changes his training methods, Annie could dramatically add HRC points to 500+ she already has and maybe add the 3rd Master National plate. Rose could possibly reach 500 and add 2 more plates to the 1 she got this year.

Lets recap this thread Friday night after the Q while we are sitting around the White House.
    I do what I can. And please don't waste real life time talking about the internet when you're at such a venue. I was actually thinking about making that trip to the Q/Master but got caught up with getting ready for hunting season.

Use the search function on Entry Express with the key word of "super. All the listed events are there.
    Thanks, I've seen those on their website but I was assuming they would have more than 2 events in the next 8 months. Kind of slim pickins or they just don't post them until last minute.

That anyone would even imply Mark Land’s dogs are not well trained is frankly, comical. And I watched Lonnie’s dog sitting with 3 birds almost splashing him last Saturday morning, after which Jack picked up his 500 point ribbon. This thread proves the adage: "You can always tell an internet dog trainer. You just can’t tell them much.”
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 10-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy