The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the SRS, will it hang on?

If you're gauging a good dog and trainer by its ability to achieve 500 please move on. Th HRCH MH I'm working with and running is about to get her 500 points and I wouldn't buy the dog for $500.

You can run a dog with a 50% pass rate and still hit 500 points if you want to spend the money.

And no I don't own a dog that has 500 points. No want to at this time either. But to each his own.
    Last edited by Nick Toti; 10-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Toti View Post
    If we're gauging a good dog and trainer by its ability to achieve 500 please move on. Th HRCH MH I'm working with and running is about to get her 500 points and I wouldn't buy the dog for $500.
    Then you should obviously change your training methods, run more Senior tests, and ship the dog off to someone who won't breed it, based on your own logic.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

I do what I can. And please don't waste real life time talking about the internet when you're at such a venue. I was actually thinking about making that trip to the Q/Master but got caught up with getting ready for hunting season.
    Based on your interweb comments, you would have a tough time hanging with the crew at the Cattle Ranch. It would have been fun to see you try, though.
    Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
    Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
    Slippin' Up the Holler "Dooley"
    Lucky Number Seven VII "Layla"

Care to elaborate on this statement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    Washouts make sense. They are usually QAA which is mostly what you see in SRS so they can do that and they usually have a bit less drive so they can be cut down to do HT work.

Your record suggests otherwise. Just saying.
    I do what I can. And please don't waste real life time talking about the internet when you're at such a venue. I was actually thinking about making that trip to the Q/Master but got caught up with getting ready for hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by RF2 View Post
    Based on your interweb comments, you would have a tough time hanging with the crew at the Cattle Ranch. It would have been fun to see you try, though.
    Yea not saying I'm trying to compete. I'm just trying to get some more entries on Entry Express to show how credible I am on the web!
    Last edited by Nick Toti; 10-23-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    Then you should obviously change your training methods, run more Senior tests, and ship the dog off to someone who won't breed it, based on your own logic.
    Exactly what's happening next week She's heading home thank the lord! Sadly I dont know if her owner will breed her or not because he bread(sp?) her moma and she was a nut case. But hey on a good note her sire was a member of the 500 point club so you know how good of dog he was!

Exactly what's happening next week She's heading home thank the lord! Sadly I dont know if her owner will breed her or not because he bread(sp?) her moma and she was a nut case. But hey on a good note her sire was a member of the 500 point club so you know how good of dog he was!
    This advice is worth what you are paying for it. 500 points is a big commitment of time, effort and money. The owner of the dog you are running isn't going to be pleased that his pride & joy is being slandered on the Internet. The retriever world is VERY small.

Carry on.
    Mark Land

Coming from a strictly amateur trainer here: The first time I saw a flier shot was about 18 years ago. It surprised me then because I hadn't been in the retriever training arena before.

A few years later, some some animal group played a video of the hounds shredding a fox at the end of a hunt in England while the hunters cheered on. That video so shocked the English people, it resulted in a nationwide ban on fox hunting a very short time later that has never been reversed.

For myself, I buy and use birds for training and also think it is important to have real birds for events.

However, in this Youtube day and age, I am afraid it is only a matter of time before PETA or someone else assembles a video montage of necks being wrung the morning of a hunt test or fliers being shot at close range and it goes viral.

At that point, there will be no reasonable debate or discussion in the news, it will be too late. People will only know they are outraged and some politician will feel the need to do something about it.

For these reasons, I think it is wise to use bumpers at the SRS or any other test if there is a possibility of it ending up on TV or online.

Tom

If you're gauging a good dog and trainer by its ability to achieve 500 please move on. Th HRCH MH I'm working with and running is about to get her 500 points and I wouldn't buy the dog for $500.

You can run a dog with a 50% pass rate and still hit 500 points if you want to spend the money.

And no I don't own a dog that has 500 points. No want to at this time either. But to each his own.
    Nick,

Guess what...I have a dog with 510 points! Does that say anything about me or my dog? Maybe so maybe not. When you train one and get 500 points come back and chat with the big dogs. Until then Grasshopper, wax on, wax off.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).