The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What's up with the SRS, will it hang on?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    Care to elaborate on this statement?
    The field trial is a small portion of the test (usually only one of the series) and usually solid but not crazy All-Age hard (based on the 2 SRS's I have been involved with). So a qualified dog can do it for the most part, or at least hang in there and not get to many points. The dogs the SRS guys get from FT pros are usually decent Qual dogs. These are really nice dogs in general but they are not going to be able to win an open which is the standard so calling them washouts isn't completely fair. I could see SRS Trainer X calling up Danny farmer and saying "do you have any solid Q dogs that are really good on the line that you will sell me. Danny then if he had one would get him a dog that is not going to make it in the Open because of a bit of a lack of drive or a little weakness in marking (it wouldn't seem like a weakness to us but their standard is crazy high) but is a good all around dog. Then SRS Trainer X starts the process of teaching the dog the HT and Grand game while still giving it the occasional FT set up to keep most of those skills intact. This isn't easy.

This isn't to say they all start out this way. Ever so often they will have a grand dog that is an exceptional marker and they go the other way with them. I was just answering the comment someone said that I hear a lot that the SRS guys just buy all their dogs which is not completely fair and not what I was trying to do with this thread. I was asking about the SRS organization not the trainers that participate in them.
    Last edited by Nate_C; 10-25-2013 at 08:10 AM.

SRS might be done on TV, it's very akin to watching golf, or paint dry (boring); also 90% commercials; the dock diving is diverting. However I believe the events will continue to be ran; it's the only event you can actually win $$$ and Prizes at for placing-competing. Anytime there's a prize offered up people are gonna compete; I know a cash prize tempts me a bunch more than; some letters in front of or behind a dogs name. I just wish we had some more of them on the west-coast and they'd do some of the televised ones out west, or even North, & East; They really limit themselves with contestants sticking to the same basic Southern area, it's a big expense for any trainer not in that area. It seems very akin to a "good-ole boys" club, no variety with the same people running year after year.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    SRS might be done on TV, it's very akin to watching golf, or paint dry (boring); also 90% commercials; the dock diving is diverting. However I believe the events will continue to be ran; it's the only event you can actually win $$$ and Prizes at for placing-competing. Anytime there's a prize offered up people are gonna compete; I know a cash prize tempts me a bunch more than; some letters in front of or behind a dogs name. I just wish we had some more of them on the west-coast and they'd do some of the televised ones out west, or even North, & East; They really limit themselves with contestants sticking to the same basic Southern area, it's a big expense for any trainer not in that area. It seems very akin to a "good-ole boys" club, no variety with the same people running year after year.
    If Avery has walked away there probably will not be many running in to throw money at this made for TV dog drama. The srs always had a Shelf Life, I would say that it's brand is getting a little moldy now. It's the Silver Lab of dog spectator sports so hopefully, we will stop seeing the imaginary srs title before advertised litters.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts