The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with noisy pup in blind

Default need help with noisy pup in blind

my dog is 11 months old and has been teal/duck hunting about 7 times now. He does very well with his retrieves and finding cripples but is sooo noisy in the morning. He was a little nosiy the very first couple times when he still didn't really know what was going to happen. Now when we are sitting there just before shooting time and the birds are all flying around, he starts up with his whining and small yelps with anticipation of getting birds. It seems to escalate slowly till he gets some action. Once he gets to either retrieve a few or help hunt cripples, he will quiet down pretty good.

It seems he just so excited and anxious for the birds that it drives him nuts to sit quietly. He knows the command "no noise" but still refuses to hush. He is used to wearing a bark collar in outdoor kennel during the day and is conditioned to it, but when given a small tick with the e-collar after a small bark he just yelps more. I have been constantly telling him no noise and touching his snoot but it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions for correcting this? The problem only happens during actual hunting and never in training. He is still very young and used to whine/cry about other things when younger but never to this degree. Will he calm with age?

Please help, I have become very fraustrated with him the last few hutns b/c of this but otherwise he has done very well.

Speaking from experience, he will not calm with age (as that is what I thought too). I would address it asap. Allowing him to get the retrieves only reinforces this behavior.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

You might consider a dog blind or other crate like structure to help him relax. I have had a dog like that and if you put her in a Mutt Hutt or something similar she relaxes and quiets right down. I also have a VERY high drive puppy right now that I am hunting from under the dodger on my Barnegat bay sneakbox. I thought she was going to be a nightmare and believe she would be, if I had her out in a johnboat or something. Under the dodger she has gone to sleep a couple of times. It's just like a crate...

Just a simple idea that may fix the issue pretty quickly.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
    my dog is 11 months old and has been teal/duck hunting about 7 times now. He does very well with his retrieves and finding cripples but is sooo noisy in the morning. He was a little nosiy the very first couple times when he still didn't really know what was going to happen. Now when we are sitting there just before shooting time and the birds are all flying around, he starts up with his whining and small yelps with anticipation of getting birds. It seems to escalate slowly till he gets some action. Once he gets to either retrieve a few or help hunt cripples, he will quiet down pretty good.

It seems he just so excited and anxious for the birds that it drives him nuts to sit quietly. He knows the command "no noise" but still refuses to hush. He is used to wearing a bark collar in outdoor kennel during the day and is conditioned to it, but when given a small tick with the e-collar after a small bark he just yelps more. I have been constantly telling him no noise and touching his snoot but it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions for correcting this? The problem only happens during actual hunting and never in training. He is still very young and used to whine/cry about other things when younger but never to this degree. Will he calm with age?

Please help, I have become very fraustrated with him the last few hutns b/c of this but otherwise he has done very well.
    Understand that you let the dog do this 7 times.
    My suggestion is to keep the dog in the truck first light and have some birds for him to retrieved when let loose. Is there a time frame when thinks go smooth...Nope....You just have to play it by ear...Your dog has high prey drive. Choose your battles.

thanks for suggestions. I am going to try the mutt hutt and see if it helps.

I remember not too long ago a pro was offering to help with pup noise and was located in PA. Can anyone tell me his name? He was stoping being a pro at the end of this year.

that would be Randy Bohn
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    that would be Randy Bohn

thank you..

Burn his ass. Turn the collar all the way up and burn him for about 5-6 seconds. Leash him down before hand so he can't jump out of the blind. When you burn him, give him a very loud command of QUIET!!! You may have to do it one or two mornings. It won't take long and the problem will be solved. I know this sounds harsh, but it's about the only simple solution. He should stop all together with the whining. If he ever starts to get vocal after you burn him, a simple "quiet" command should make that cease quickly.

Knicking the dog won't do anything other than make him yip. Think back to when you were a child. You knicking him is the equivalent of your mom telling you to hush and tapping your hand every time you would talk back to her. It doesn't make you stop talking back, it just annoyed you a little. Imagine her smacking the crap out of you and yelling at you to never ever do that again. You learn real quick to not run your mouth.

There is a very good article in the October Retiever News, you might want o check out. Vocailzation is one of the hardest issues to fix, you need to address it now, if you want any chance on fixing it. I have not had a lot of success with using collar correstions on the line but that is just my opinion. I def would not let him retieve any more birds/bumpers until he is quite. Good luck
    HRCH Ashland's Dixieland Delight MH - "Dixie"

Quote Originally Posted by Dixiedog78 View Post
    There is a very good article in the October Retiever News, you might want o check out. Vocailzation is one of the hardest issues to fix, you need to address it now, if you want any chance on fixing it. I have not had a lot of success with using collar correstions on the line but that is just my opinion. I def would not let him retieve any more birds/bumpers until he is quite. Good luck
    Is there a link to that article ?