The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Hold

Default Teaching Hold

I have been trying to train hold to my pup. Once she gets the dowel in her mouth she tends to chomp on it and continue chomping. How much pressure do I place on her mouth to train her to hold without chomping. Its almost as if she is readjusting it constantly. Also she likes to grab the end and cigars it. Any info helps

Put a glove on put two fingers in the dogs mouth, put your thumb under their Bot Jaw and keep the fingers in the dogs mouth until the mouth is still. as soon as the mouthing stops give the drop comand and remove the fingers short sessions lots of praise and dont remove your fingers until the mouth is still with a little time they will understand that if the hold their mouth still the fingers will come out if not they stay in works for me.
    ......Jimmy

Thanks for the post Jimmy! Anyone else?

Ditto on the above...STOP the chomp and do not decide to live with it. Nightmares for later if not. Now don't confuse early hold for chomping. This might be just the uncomfortable feeling of a new item. How long have you been working on hold?
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I wanted to begin hold about 3 weeks ago. I started it for 4 straight days and decided to go away from it for now because her obedience wasnt quite in check. I have solidified her obedience and began working on hold again. I tried what Frito said and she was fighting it like crazy. Keep at it????

You mean the gloved hand? It's a nice thought, and is helpful with some dogs. I tend to be more direct. I use a paint roller for a while early in the process. Correct for errors directly. PM for a video clip that shows some standard corrections.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I'm with Evan. A couple sharp raps under the chin and the chomping should stop.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater"

What Joe said. Also, I've found that stroking the dog under the bottom jaw when he isn't chomping, will reinforce the good behavior you want to see. The dog I just finished force fetching was a chomper, and we had to try a couple of different objects, before I got him to stop chomping. For whatever reason, he tended to chomp the wood more than he chomped the bumper - teeth may be a little tender still and the wood chomping may feel good.
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

I'm following Evans program and what I've noticed is if I talk nice and calm while giving the hold command she settles right in and the mouth calms down.
    While she is holding I give her tons of praise in a nice calm voice. Here's my routine.
    Hold (soft and calm)
    no mouth movement she gets hold, good girl, pet head, (low calm voice)
    out ( low calm voice)
    good girl ( low calm voice)
    rinse and repeat.
    It is working wonders she now holds without any mouthing of the roller. Plus it transferred to a glove.
    I have no way of posting video, no one to do the taping of it.

I'm sure it'll change a bit when she starts teething more, but being relaxed and calm is the whole key I believe. If you are amp'd up the pup will be also, which can lead to excitement creating the mouthing MHO.
    Last edited by metalone67; 10-24-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Thank you great advice metalone! She is definitely done teething now. I started hold a little late im afraid she is 10 months. Some things she learns quickly others it is a struggle!