The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri Tronics stim levels

Although I have whacked myself on the calf with a heeling stick, I seriously doubt that someone can differentiate between a high 4, 5 or 6.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    thanks..........I think

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Are you serious? I have to say that I have never eaten dog food, even the stew looking canned kind, and I see no reason to try my collar on, I know it hurts, that's the whole point.
    Yep. None of it will hurt you. If you're willing to shock the dog, don't you think you should know what it feels like? I think we'd see a lot less dogs whose owners ruined them with improper e-collar use if folks tried it on themselves first.

And you should try the dog food. Some of it actually ain't that bad!
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Although I have whacked myself on the calf with a heeling stick, I seriously doubt that someone can differentiate between a high 4, 5 or 6.
    Try it, you might be surprised. I only have the Tri-tronics sport basic, but there's a real difference between 2.5, 3.5, and 4.5.
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

The 4.5 continuous is pretty dang hot, and that's as far as i cared to go. It would certainly cause a change in my behavior.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

I'm in the camp that you use what ever level meets your needs and not try to split hairs. I normally use a combination of both momentary and continuous so I prefer the Pro 500 but also have a Pro 200 because of the three momentary levels. I've found the stimulations are more consistent when I use the longer prongs.

I do have a couple of questions that are some what related though.......

Do you get the same level of stimulation from a receiver battery that is at half charge or less as you get with a fully charged receiver battery? And How often do you charge your e-collar units?

cr
    Last edited by Coveyrise64; 10-24-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI

VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    There's an easy way to figure this out: strap it to your arm and start pushing buttons. Anything my dog eats, drinks, or feels, I eat, drink or feel first.
    Poop? ___________________

I can tell you this. A high 3 burn stings, a high 4 stings worse. A high 5 and 6 made my head spin--as soon as the stun started the collar goes flying on those levels. I don't recommend trying it but curiosity gets the best of me. I've also touched the electric fence that keeps my cows in. That was a different kind of pain there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Wife can't handle a high 6 but girlfriend just loves it!
    Does it depend on placement and proper fit?
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFIc-IgUIs

And they even made a video of it!
    Erik B.