The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Test Dog

its funny to see how many dont want to run as test dog...BUT what would happen if you and your dog were asked to be one of the test dogs at the National Amateur or the National Open..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I always take the opportunity to run the test dog. Heck my dog is getting what she wants more than anything. Birds... If my dog is happy so am I.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I ran test dog this past weekend after my dog went out in the first series of the derby. Some may feel it was stupid but he did great and got some more experience running. I did it on the advice of my trainer. To be honest I hadn't even thought of running him. My trainer was running his dogs and wanted to see how my dog handled each of the series.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

The purpose of the test dog is to provide, judges, and handlers hours of entertainment . So many little moments to treasure . First from the dog stand point; I love to watch what is usually available to run test dog; some youngin (who's not ready to take that next step, but who's owner has connections), or some ancient dog (who's retried-hasn't trained since 2000; but might as well be used as a test dog). Then you get to watch all the handlers FREAK-OUT after watching the test dog (whether it's ugly or pretty). Then those rare moments, when you get to watch the switch out of 2-3 different test dogs, That can't do the test. The judge that has to use his personal dog as test dog, something always goes wrong with that . You just never know what's going to happen with a test dog; but invariably something does happen, and it's fun to watch, thus their purpose
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 10-25-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)