RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Test Dog

4K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Hunt'EmUp 
#1 ·
What is the purpose of the test dog?

#3 ·
To show the mechanics of the test. Not the purpose but it also scents the area of the falls, allows the bird boys to practice & gives the flyer shooter one more to warm up. This weekend in a Started test both birds were released simultaneously. No problem with a test dog but could have really shaken a young inexperienced dog. This also give the handlers an opportunity to see the marks from very close to the line.

#4 ·
The purpose of a test dog is a wonderful question and will no doubt have a variety of answers all of which will have validly

From my view the test dog is for the judges only. It helps them see the planned test in action, the test dog allows judges to see the mechanics of the setup and allows gunners to understand the test
A test dog should be able to do the expected setup reasonably well and many times we dont see that.
If the test dog disturbs too much cover it just lays foot scent that can confuse others

Finally a test dog allows the gallery to plan there course of action however i believe that is a by product of the test dog

Great question
Dk

#7 ·
At the last couple of Master stakes that I have marshalled, we have had a setup dog and then a test dog. The setup dog fine tuned the calls, throws, falls, etc. The test dog demonstrated the test to the handlers. Handlers were not invited to watch the setup dog.

#10 ·
The gentleman I asked about should I run as "test dog" for the "free" training replied, "No never, let 'm experiment on somebody else's dog":cool:

#20 ·
While this is true and a lot of pros tell their clients not to run as test dog or bye dog, I wish more folks would take one for the team and do it. Sometimes it is impossible to find a test dog or bye dog. Wait until you don't run one and watch the handlers whine when you don't have a test dog because nobody steps up.

#13 ·
Depends on the part of the country. The big lizard having folks run a test dog (usually a Golden if one is available) to check things out - so to speak.

Better safe than sorry regards

Bubba

#16 ·
As a judge, I better know where the issues are as far as dogs performing or not, so I use it to verify the mechanics and get endless GREAT :p handler questions about what they can or can't do in handling their dog.
Mostly, it is so the handlers understand the test, the order of falls, where the blind is, etc.

what I look for as a participant, -what do I do to help my dog be successful. EG - While I note the order the test dog picks up the multiple marks, I always pick my own order. Too many just do what the test dog did, especially if TD looked good.

#18 ·
I don't run test dog anymore - just extra chance for bad habits and injury. let someone else get the live training if they want it :p

#21 ·
its funny to see how many dont want to run as test dog...BUT what would happen if you and your dog were asked to be one of the test dogs at the National Amateur or the National Open..

#23 ·
I ran test dog this past weekend after my dog went out in the first series of the derby. Some may feel it was stupid but he did great and got some more experience running. I did it on the advice of my trainer. To be honest I hadn't even thought of running him. My trainer was running his dogs and wanted to see how my dog handled each of the series.

#24 · (Edited)
The purpose of the test dog is to provide, judges, and handlers hours of entertainment ;). So many little moments to treasure ;). First from the dog stand point; I love to watch what is usually available to run test dog; some youngin (who's not ready to take that next step, but who's owner has connections), or some ancient dog (who's retried-hasn't trained since 2000; but might as well be used as a test dog). Then you get to watch all the handlers FREAK-OUT after watching the test dog (whether it's ugly or pretty). Then those rare moments, when you get to watch the switch out of 2-3 different test dogs, That can't do the test. The judge that has to use his personal dog as test dog, something always goes wrong with that ;). You just never know what's going to happen with a test dog; but invariably something does happen, and it's fun to watch, thus their purpose ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.