The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GDG - Yote setup...

.223, 22-250, .243, 6mm, they'll ALL get the job done. My personal preference is a .243 for 'yotes

BUT...FOM mentioned neighbors and all of those are real loud, loud enuf to be an annoyance to some neighbors. Iffen that's the case, you can't beat the lowly .22 Hornet with a 40-45 gr. Hornady SX bullet you can knock 'em down out to a bit over 200 yds with no range compensation. The quiet-er alternative.
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Browning semi-auto .243 and....

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win...Superformance/

Kicks like a .22 for great follow up shots and is wicked fast and flat.

Also an excellent deer gun. Lightweight (7.5 lbs) and more than enough punch for a well placed shot on a muley shooting 80-115 grain bullets. Drop down to the 50-58 grains for critters.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I find this all very disturbing. They do look like dogs you know. In Valley View Tx, on the road to Judy Aycock's property, one ranch owner used to hang them by the feet along his fence to purposely bug the dog people.

When I was living on a farm in Sheboygan, WI, the coyote hunters were out looking for a "big red" coyote someone spotted on the hill... "What the H##LLL, that's no coyote! That's my dog, Kirby!" Poor Kirby! I told them to call off the dogs....
    Big difference between living in a place where you are always within walking distance to the next house (or tavern) and living in a place where yours is the only yard light visible. Similarly large difference between buying your groceries at the local mart and living in a place where the critters out in the yard are groceries on the hoof. I'm with you on the coyote thing- in most instances they eat enough pests to earn their keep but they can also break the bank if they decide to start eating the livestock. Might also be helpful to remember that they are particularly fond of Canis Familiaris. I let them be if they are willing to stick to possum and nutria but................

Besides- not all "Varmits" are carnivores - Prairie Dog, rock chuck, wood chuck, Marmot, and in some counties Democrats are in that category.

Always nice to have a tack driver around to dispatch the odd unwanted intruder.

Aim small miss small regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I find this all very disturbing. They do look like dogs you know. In Valley View Tx, on the road to Judy Aycock's property, one ranch owner used to hang them by the feet along his fence to purposely bug the dog people.

When I was living on a farm in Sheboygan, WI, the coyote hunters were out looking for a "big red" coyote someone spotted on the hill... "What the H##LLL, that's no coyote! That's my dog, Kirby!" Poor Kirby! I told them to call off the dogs....
    Here in Tx some counties will pay bounties on them and ranch owners would hang them on the fence to collect their bountey or warn neigbors. Some have to take a ear or something in to collect bountie.
    Some counties put out poison and post signs for a warning for dogs, all to protect the livestock and lap dogs
    We even still use purple paint on trees for no tresspasing

In Texas, the ranch owner near Judy leaves them up until they rot enough to fall off the fence on their own. Yuck!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

In Texas, the ranch owner near Judy leaves them up until they rot enough to fall off the fence on their own. Yuck!

its part Texas tradition to hang a yote carcass on the fence.....and in some good ole boys wives tales hunting lore circles they believe that the smell/sight will ward off other coyotes...have hunted with people from both persuasions
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Just dont come to Texas some times you may see a beaver hanging on the fence Or get directions from rancher to turn in the pasture by the beaver or yote on the fence

My vote is the flattop AR-15 too. Mine is in 5.56 because its slightly hotter, but the .223 is great too. Not much walks within 500yds of me and enjoys it... Toss on a Nikon M-223 with the BDC reticle and its perfect. Plus WHEN(not if) the Commies come, you'll be ready.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    WHEN(not if) the Commies come, you'll be ready.
    You got a fully stocked nuke-proof bomb shelter under your back yard too, right?
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Hey "FOM" (who's afraid/ashamed to use her real name): Let us know what you get and how it shoots. Anything from .17 to 8mm Mag...