RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GDG - Yote setup...

8K views 51 replies 30 participants last post by  8mmag 
#1 ·
I need to pick the collective brain of RTF for a decent Coyote shooting setup...I don't need or want to have to mortgage the house on this setup so basic out of the box setups would be ideal, but I'd like something reasonable that can reach out and put a world of hurt on them. They are getting a little too brave for my tastes. They actually woke me up the other night and we are starting to see "trails" out in the fields where they are traveling down to the little valley we have. We can shoot them at night here too. I'd like to be able to take care of the racoons and skunks with this setup, too - think they got into a pigeon coop the other day. Our new place does have some houses on 5 acre lots on one side, so I need something powerful enough to bring a yote down at a reasonable distance, but nothing too powerful to need a blasting permit! ;)

Recommendations??

FOM

#31 ·
A 243 is a flat shooting bullet and is a bit more versatile than some of the lighter bullets

#33 ·
For the money I would go with a Savage with the AccueTrigger in .223 or 22-250. For the fun an AR-15 with a good barrel and trigger.

No one has mentioned that the glass on top of the rifle is at least half of the equation. IF I had the money, Night Force optics would be on ALL of my rifles. As it stands, I am running Leuoplod and Nikons.

#36 · (Edited)
For the money I would go with a Savage with the AccueTrigger in .223 or 22-250....
If I didn't have a Sako .223, A Savage 11 with Accu Stock and Accu trigger, regular wt bbl is what I'd get. (but you might consider a heavy bbl if you won't be carrying it much). I have a Savage 111 in .25-06 (target attached. Bushnell Elite scope.) That's a little heavy for Coyotes, but the recoil is way less than a .30-06. I haven't had good luck with .22 accelerators in my .30-06, but it's a light bbl. (5 in/100yd groups, and shoots 150-220's 1.25in/100 yd groups.) Savage makes a "youth model" and a "Lady Hunter" model that might fit you better.

Attachments

#38 · (Edited)
#40 ·
I find this all very disturbing. They do look like dogs you know.;-) In Valley View Tx, on the road to Judy Aycock's property, one ranch owner used to hang them by the feet along his fence to purposely bug the dog people.

When I was living on a farm in Sheboygan, WI, the coyote hunters were out looking for a "big red" coyote someone spotted on the hill... "What the H##LLL, that's no coyote! That's my dog, Kirby!" Poor Kirby! I told them to call off the dogs....

#43 ·
I find this all very disturbing. They do look like dogs you know.;-) In Valley View Tx, on the road to Judy Aycock's property, one ranch owner used to hang them by the feet along his fence to purposely bug the dog people.

When I was living on a farm in Sheboygan, WI, the coyote hunters were out looking for a "big red" coyote someone spotted on the hill... "What the H##LLL, that's no coyote! That's my dog, Kirby!" Poor Kirby! I told them to call off the dogs....
Big difference between living in a place where you are always within walking distance to the next house (or tavern) and living in a place where yours is the only yard light visible. Similarly large difference between buying your groceries at the local mart and living in a place where the critters out in the yard are groceries on the hoof. I'm with you on the coyote thing- in most instances they eat enough pests to earn their keep but they can also break the bank if they decide to start eating the livestock. Might also be helpful to remember that they are particularly fond of Canis Familiaris. I let them be if they are willing to stick to possum and nutria but................

Besides- not all "Varmits" are carnivores - Prairie Dog, rock chuck, wood chuck, Marmot, and in some counties Democrats are in that category.

Always nice to have a tack driver around to dispatch the odd unwanted intruder.

Aim small miss small regards

Bubba

#44 ·
Here in Tx some counties will pay bounties on them and ranch owners would hang them on the fence to collect their bountey or warn neigbors. Some have to take a ear or something in to collect bountie.
Some counties put out poison and post signs for a warning for dogs, all to protect the livestock and lap dogs;)
We even still use purple paint on trees for no tresspasing

#41 ·
.223, 22-250, .243, 6mm, they'll ALL get the job done. My personal preference is a .243 for 'yotes

BUT...FOM mentioned neighbors and all of those are real loud, loud enuf to be an annoyance to some neighbors. Iffen that's the case, you can't beat the lowly .22 Hornet with a 40-45 gr. Hornady SX bullet you can knock 'em down out to a bit over 200 yds with no range compensation. The quiet-er alternative.

#42 · (Edited)
Browning semi-auto .243 and....

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-558gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

Kicks like a .22 for great follow up shots and is wicked fast and flat.

Also an excellent deer gun. Lightweight (7.5 lbs) and more than enough punch for a well placed shot on a muley shooting 80-115 grain bullets. Drop down to the 50-58 grains for critters.

#45 ·
In Texas, the ranch owner near Judy leaves them up until they rot enough to fall off the fence on their own. Yuck!

#46 ·
its part Texas tradition to hang a yote carcass on the fence.....and in some good ole boys wives tales hunting lore circles they believe that the smell/sight will ward off other coyotes...have hunted with people from both persuasions

#48 ·
My vote is the flattop AR-15 too. Mine is in 5.56 because its slightly hotter, but the .223 is great too. Not much walks within 500yds of me and enjoys it... Toss on a Nikon M-223 with the BDC reticle and its perfect. Plus WHEN(not if) the Commies come, you'll be ready. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.