RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GDG - Yote setup...

8K views 51 replies 30 participants last post by  8mmag 
#1 ·
I need to pick the collective brain of RTF for a decent Coyote shooting setup...I don't need or want to have to mortgage the house on this setup so basic out of the box setups would be ideal, but I'd like something reasonable that can reach out and put a world of hurt on them. They are getting a little too brave for my tastes. They actually woke me up the other night and we are starting to see "trails" out in the fields where they are traveling down to the little valley we have. We can shoot them at night here too. I'd like to be able to take care of the racoons and skunks with this setup, too - think they got into a pigeon coop the other day. Our new place does have some houses on 5 acre lots on one side, so I need something powerful enough to bring a yote down at a reasonable distance, but nothing too powerful to need a blasting permit! ;)

Recommendations??

FOM

#3 ·
If you can create a gut pile from anything that will get things started. I would go with a 223 or 22-250 for the kill. Both of these rounds will do what you want and you can do it from some distance. In the 22-250 the best round is Winchester 50 grain Ballistic tip it'll drop them in their tracks.
You could use a caller, but the good ones cost some coin. The gut pile will work, but you have to watch it all the time to catch them.
Good luck and take them all out.

#5 ·
I own a 30-06, but I'd rather leave that setup as is, it's my big game rifle...and don't ruin a women's chance to go "shoe shopping" ;) Any other ideas?

#6 ·
We started hunting coyotes several years ago. Like you I wanted a setup that wouldn't break the bank. I bought a Savage heavy barrel varmit rifle in .22-250, put a Tasco 6 -24x scope on it and had a trigger job done on the rifle. Its' a 1/2 MOA gun. With the new triggers you don't need after-market work on them. Several guys I hunt with shoot custom varmit rifles and my out of the box Savage outshoots all of them.

Buck

#7 · (Edited)
Ya always forget Gooser!:):)

I shoot a Remington Model 7 in .223. I shoot a 55 gr Honady "SX" bullit on top of 21 grains of 4198 powder.
Old school 6 -18 X Redfield scope

Out of my rifle,, the bullet goes in ,completely disintegrates, leaving a single entry hole, and no exit.
It make "wily"have very bad day.

You know me personally! Ya know I kinda stink like a Coyote! Its deliberate! I LOVE to hunt and call them.. After I douse myself with coyote urine,, and tie on an electric Bunny tail to my hat,, I sit in the field with a wounded rabbit call,, and fill up the back of the truck.

Wait until January! The pelts will be prime.. Invite me down,, and have a box of Strawberry Pop Tarts, and some Diet Coke,, and I will take you and David out,, and we will do some damage.

I have heard right now,, a Good Coyote pelt brings 30.00. (case skinned of course, with feet and ears turned.)

I will get the Coyote urine ready for you guys!

Gooser

#19 ·
Ya always forget Gooser!:):)

I shoot a Remington Model 7 in .223. I shoot a 55 gr Honady "SX" bullit on top of 21 grains of 4198 powder.
Old school 6 -18 X Redfield scope

Gooser, I told her to go directly to you, but you know how it iz with these Wimin.....

She be a RTF addict anyway.

#8 ·
H&R makes the Handi-Rifle which is available in .223 rem or a variety of other rounds. It is only a single shot, but priced under $300 it is very affordable. I own the 12 Gauge slug version and it is a tack driver. The barrels are interchangeable also, if you ever want to change calibers.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/hunter.asp

#9 ·
ORRRRRRRRRRRRR,,

We could wait for a warmer romantic January Night,, and sit out in yer field under a full moon,witha flashlight and a red lens,, and you kin just use that scatter gun you guys shoot at flyers with on training days!.. :):)

Gooser will call em into yer laps!!:):)

Gooser

#11 ·
The .223 with "SX" bullets is really safe to shoot in populated ares. They will NEVER ricochet. as soon as the bullet touches something, it comes apart..

Gooser

#12 ·
I was turkey hunting one spring down near Walsenburg (Kinda near Lainee and David, only more weird people there............. Sex change capitol of the world,, but anyways I digress:))

It was almost sundown,, and I was slowly working my way back to Camp, when a group of coyotes started baying.
I immediatly reached for my wouned rabbit Coyote call,, and started screaming.(On the call,, Not physically screaming) Not but just seconds later,, her comes a small very eager young coyote running right at me.
I dropped him at 20 yrds with #4's

He is hangin on my gun cabinet anlong with about 9 more of his cousins.. I think, if shot at the right time of year (this one wasnt) they make a BEAUTIFUL pelt to hang on a piece of shoe string.

Gooser

#14 ·
HAHAHAHA!!!!!:):)

The Call I recommend is made by Burnham Bros in Marrie Falls texas.. (Ibelieve) Its called a "Long Range G3 Fox Call"

I havent been able to find these calls for years now,,If any of you Cowboy fans down in the "Great State" know where I can get em,,I'd appreciate the info.

It has called in coyotes all over the west. Very consistent..

I can also use a Diaphram elk call and get em in also..

#20 ·
Lainee, Buck Mann pretty much hit the nail on the head! I also started hunting them recently and have used pretty much everything from a 22 to a 300. The ultimate rifle IMO is a AR because of having a quick follow up shot. Dr Ed mentioned a Mini 14 which is great, but accuracy becomes a issue out past 200 yards. The perfect round is either 22-250 or 223 for sure, but I have killed them well past 100 yards with a 17 with a V-Max bullet. If you are going to hunt them at night, if done right you can shoot dang near anything because they will just about come and sit in your lap IF conditions are right and IF they've not been hunted much at night.

Without question Bon was 100% correct about calls, they only make one brand, Foxpro! If you do decide to buy a Foxpro don't think you've got to buy a expensive one, the higher end ones are great if you are calling bears. Trust me I found this out after I paid double for something with stuff I will never use.

Just a FYI, if you start coyote hunting you will get hooked!

#22 ·
I have no issues using a 30-06 on an yote if you're not saving the fur. IF you already have the gun, no need to run out and buy another one.

#24 ·
Here is the easy way to rid yourself of coyotes:

Get some 300 lb. nylon twine, large treble hooks, and sponge.

Cut a large chunk of sponge, insert treble hook, soak in blood, and hang sponge off the ground about 4' high.

Coyote will be hanging there waiting for you to dispatch him with your weapon of choice.

Lonnie Spann

#26 ·
I WANT A NEW TOY, I do not want to use my 30-06 - its my big game rifle! ;) Come on, I'm trying to "justify" a new toy for the collection....some women collect shoes and purses....I like my firearms! :) I can NEVER have too many firearms! If the zombie apocalypse happens I'll be well prepared, too!!

Lonnie - your method doesn't sound like much fun to me...might as well throw a dead duck at the flyer station, shoot at it and call it a live flyer ;) I prefer the "fair" chase method...at least the yotes have a 0.001% of not getting bagged and tagged if I'm pulling the trigger.

#34 · (Edited)
Then look for a Remington Model 7 or Model 700 in 6mm mag (.243 on steroids). You should be able to find a nice used one at a good price. Fitted with a Leupold VXIII 3x9 its an awesome varmint rifle in that cal. & great accuracy (ballistic tips for varmints are deadly in this cal.). Very nice for antelope too, even whitetail doe neck shots with the right ammo. Doesn't beat you up like that 30.06. You'll love it.

#28 ·
I use a Ruger model 77 in .220 swift.... 55 grain bullet and it'll wear em out as far as you can hit em... One negative to a bolt action is your follow up shots... Much quicker with an AR or Mini 14....

Good Luck and kill em all,

Richard

#30 · (Edited)
If I were just after a new toy, I would take Dave's suggestion above.

I want one REALLY bad.

Ya know, in just 4 months, certain planets align, and rumor has it that the 12ft Lizards the Aliens buried millions of years ago, is gona come alive, and dig themselves up to take over the planet.

I have heard this explains the influx of huge sink holes lately

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.