The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Stamp Reductions

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    ....When the hard working fed income taxpayer stands in line behind someone in line at Sams that checks out a large cart full of cake and HI'C boxes with A food stamp card I think we have a reason to be pissed off.
    LIberals tell me why this is in any way right?
    I would have no problems putting substantial restrictions on the use of the funds. Make a list of foods that are eligible and those that are not. The folks lobbying against this type of law the hardest would be the big food corporations and big agriculture not advocates for the poor. Follow the money.
    Last edited by Henry V; 10-24-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    I would have no problems putting substantial restrictions on the use of the funds. Make a list of foods that are eligible and those that are not. The folks lobbying against this type of law the hardest would be the big food corporations and big agriculture not advocates for the poor. Follow the money.
    WIC seems to be able to do just that. They even create coupons for seasonal farmers markets.

But, there is too much money involved now so significant reform will be difficult.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    WIC seems to be able to do just that. They even create coupons for seasonal farmers markets.

But, there is too much money involved now so significant reform will be difficult.

Tom
    Even that is screwed up. I went to pick up just a few things at the grocery store today. I needed a bag of frozen mixed veggies to toss in a pot of homemade soup. More than anything I do it for some color and to get a bit more veggies in a non veggie family member.
    But I digress.
    WIC these days includes veggies. So signs on the items, YES SIGNS BUY ME WIC APPROVED. Store brand, frozen not steam in a bag on sale 99cents. Same ounces and WIC is all by volume, either wieght or fluid ounces, Name brand, steam in bag $2.69.
    So I the federal income taxayer is buying the stuff on sale for 99 cents and the leech using my confiscated money can get using my hard earned money the $2.69 stuff. Since a WIC check is for an item not a dollar amount there is zero incentive to get the store brand on sale.
    One day someone was in front of me in the express lane at the grocery store. They had maybe 3 items, but one was a gallon of milk. Paid for with a WIC check. They had the name brand, I also had a gallon of milk, mine was store brand. MIne cost 78 cents less. Huh??? Needless to say, as you guys know, I will not be quiet about this (unless DH is with, He only bitches after the fact, no balls to call them out) I told him it was BS that he was using my hard earned money to get name brand while I was buying store brand because the gov't took my hard earned money and gave it to him!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    Glad to see that you got out while the getting was good.
    Took a long time to be done with owning it. Hubby bought in 94 and it was FHA qualified. When we tried to sell 2 years later it had lost FHA status, too many renters , yup our tax dollars feeding the beast. We figured he had bought near or close to the bottom of the condo crash in CT. That was true but we were overrun with renters so it now this lower priced condo, but get this it had huge green areas etc, could only be sold to a buyer with 20% down. So a person could get a mortage on a property worth more than triple for less cash down. We became reluctant landlords and finally sold at the peak. Good we made a tidy profit for our years of hell. BAD BAD BAD so did the federal gov't in taxes. If anything they should have cut us a check for the hell they made our life using our confiscated hard earned money!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Exactly! Food stamps are largely an agricultural subsidy that got the government out of a lot of surplus food buying and storing. It has momentum because of agribusiness, farmers, grocers and everyone else in the food chain keep it going. They have the bucks and the organized lobby to keep it going--not poor people.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Exactly! Food stamps are largely an agricultural subsidy that got the government out of a lot of surplus food buying and storing. It has momentum because of agribusiness, farmers, grocers and everyone else in the food chain keep it going. They have the bucks and the organized lobby to keep it going--not poor people.
    NONE of the progressives programs to help those in need help those in need!

(they FEEL good though)

They help the sponsors and politicians, OH, and get votes!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Even that is screwed up. ......
    WIC these days includes veggies. So signs on the items, YES SIGNS BUY ME WIC APPROVED. Store brand, frozen not steam in a bag on sale 99cents. Same ounces and WIC is all by volume, either wieght or fluid ounces, Name brand, steam in bag $2.69......
    Like I said above, follow the money. Your tax dollars are going where? The poor are not the ones putting them away in an offshore account. Their advocates are not the ones putting up those signs and their lobbyists are not the ones who would stop any changes to the program that would limit their freedom to spend money on overpriced, highly profitable products.

You do realize that there are virtually no farm subsidies for vegetables, right?. You do know that the US is a net food importer, right?

Big ag has a lot of power. Even dead farmers get paid millions.
    http://qz.com/122761/the-other-recip...s-wall-street/
    http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...thiest-farmers
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...aundering.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...arm-subsidies/
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...insurance.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/us...mers.html?_r=0
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...99713S20131008
    Last edited by Henry V; 10-28-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    NONE of the progressives programs to help those in need help those in need!

(they FEEL good though)

They help the sponsors and politicians, OH, and get votes!
    They took food stamps out of one of the farm bills and then even the "fiscal conservatives" increased the subsidies to farmers. We shall see how that goes. I guess they are trying to lock up the ever growing farmer segment of the population.
    Last edited by Henry V; 10-28-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelled word wrong and caught it.

They took food stamps out of one of the farm bills and then even the "fiscal conservatives" increased the subsidies to farmers. We shall see how that goes. I guess they are trying to lock up the ever growing farmer segment of the population.
    Probably the WRONG segment to go after, their numbers decrease daily, sort of like those who pay taxes, a vanishing breed!!!

Damn Henry, I have finally found one of your posts that I agree with. Between the Farm Lobby, Grocery Lobby it will be hard to curtail the upward spiral of EBT cards. Down here they have found a way around the Cold Food only requirement by running the Boudin/Cracklins/Crawfish/Crabs through the cooler for several minutes prior to sale.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts