The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Delta training collar???

Default Garmin Delta training collar???

I'm looking for a new E- collar does anyone have The Garmin Delta?? If so what do you think?

I just bought one last month so I didn't have to use my good training collar hunting, and it feels pretty junky. Infact I haven't even used it yet, cause Ive still been using my old tritronics that I was TRYING to replace It seems like its our only choice now though

I bought one. Have had it for a few weeks now. It works good so far but this is on a Lab, might try a different collar if your dog has a longer coat.

The Delta sport is a nice unit , but does not go hot enough, and you cannot change the prongs
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I have the delta and like it. Easy to use and battery life is great. Have a soft dog so do have to turn it up high to get what I need out of him.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Well, I ordered the Delta... Hope it cuts it- this collar will be for a lab I don't think that the coat length will be an issue, but I hope the intensity range is affective??

Don't have one but my gripe is that you have to look at the unit to tell what level you're on. And it replaced the TT unit I sold most to customers, the Sport Basic. Not a smart move in my opinion by TT.

I suspect "TT" did not have a vote in that move. They are owned by Garmin, and Garmin will call the shots. Look at the new IC shirts, and you will see what I mean.....
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

You're right Gulfcoast, but why can't a company just buy another then let them keep running like they were? They obviously bought TT because it was a successful company so why step in and go changing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    Don't have one but my gripe is that you have to look at the unit to tell what level you're on. And it replaced the TT unit I sold most to customers, the Sport Basic. Not a smart move in my opinion by TT.
    Lots of people new to dog training come and go through a kennel and training facility next to my house. The Sport Basic is ALWAYS what folks were sent off to purchase at a local retailer or a specific site we always suggest. From the OBED Kennel up the street to the gun dog/hunt test/field trial pointer trainer. It's ALWAYS been Sport Basic. TT has made a HUGE error in moving to the Garmin product.

I see it as a generational product too. Older folks are not fans of the digital screens either. When used to a product with a dial, they can "feel" the setting levels and count the clicks. I can't tell you how many older retired gentlemen turn their dial to zero and count the clicks back to the level where they have been told to run their dog.

Folks aren't going to pull out their readers to see the digital numbers. I think that change long ago was a failure on Dogtra's part. I know two folks who dumped the Dogtra when it went digital even though they liked the ease of setting ranges on the Dogtra.

It all makes sense from a Corporate standpoint. What big business really listens to the customer and makes changes based upon feedback from their niche market? not many. I do know the Dogtra NC 1800 has a basic dial and two buttons. For new trainers that will probably be the new recommendation when all the Sport Basics are no longer available. I know a few folks in need of new ones so, will pass it on to them they'd better get moving and get their TT Sport Basic bought asap.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-24-2013 at 10:33 AM.