Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Delta training collar???

Brad: I TOTALLY agree with you.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

It just feels cheap in my hand, the collar strap is even little and cheap feeling its probably an ok collar but I'm not huge on digital stuff and Im only 30

Eactly my point too Paul. That's was a selling point to folkd for me. I carry the T-miiter in my pocket hunting and can count the clicks to know where I'm at without taking it out, without taking my eyes off the dog, without getting my readers out! That's why I bought a spare Basic already and have encouraged clients to suck them up when they see them.

Ran a Sport Basic on my police dog for similar reasons and the whole department switched from Dogtra to TT for the same reasons. Great tactical advantage to not have to look at your transmitter.

Perhaps TT will listen.....then again perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    You're right Gulfcoast, but why can't a company just buy another then let them keep running like they were? They obviously bought TT because it was a successful company so why step in and go changing it!
    You're a bright guy, you know the answer....the buyer thinks they can make a larger profit and expand the brand..the owners of TT obviously thought it was time to cash in and sell their company
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    Eactly my point too Paul. That's was a selling point to folkd for me. I carry the T-miiter in my pocket hunting and can count the clicks to know where I'm at without taking it out, without taking my eyes off the dog, without getting my readers out! That's why I bought a spare Basic already and have encouraged clients to suck them up when they see them.

Ran a Sport Basic on my police dog for similar reasons and the whole department switched from Dogtra to TT for the same reasons. Great tactical advantage to not have to look at your transmitter.

Perhaps TT will listen.....then again perhaps not.
    I bet the people at Tri-Tronics think I'm making this stuff up...lol

Brad- the same price point Dogtra is the 1800 NC. I've never liked that model because the dial is so small. TT always had the nice large round dial with spaced clicks. Dogtra's is very small in the clicks are light so, tougher to feel but, they still do have some feel. Another point was the TT Sport you could dial with one hand. The Dogtra requires two hands and your two fingers to pinch the small dial.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampeast View Post
    It just feels cheap in my hand, the collar strap is even little and cheap feeling its probably an ok collar but I'm not huge on digital stuff and Im only 30
    +1!!! I returned mine after a week and bought a TT and never looked back.

My husband likes his Sport Basic better than the Pro 500--so I thought I'd look and see if I could get him a spare while they're still available. Too late. All vendors on the first four pages of Google were sold out. There isn't even a single one listed on ebay.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    My husband likes his Sport Basic better than the Pro 500--so I thought I'd look and see if I could get him a spare while they're still available. Too late. All vendors on the first four pages of Google were sold out. There isn't even a single one listed on ebay.

Amy Dahl
    I come across them on craiglist occasionally. I'll buy every one I see from here on out. This is going to be like the end of the 9 shot .22 NEF..... Can't get it and people want it.

for you Pro-500 lovers... just saw this on a quick search- $100

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/4105165048.html
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 10-24-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    ... I do know the Dogtra NC 1800 has a basic dial and two buttons. For new trainers that will probably be the new recommendation when all the Sport Basics are no longer available. ...
    Unfortunately, the 1800 (my favorite of all the collars I've had) was discontinued a while back. I was thinking of buying one the ones left...

I also thought my next might be the G Delta Sport or Cabelas new one. I don't like the enormous tubes on the TT's, but may well end up with a Flyway...
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 10-24-2013 at 03:23 PM.

I started using these

http://ecollar.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/view/category/virtuemart_category_id/1

recently and have about 6 in the field so far with no reported problems.

Some things I like:

Dogtra style level setting but you can lock the dial so no accidental changes.
    Boost can be custom set so you can go up 5 levels or 20 levels or 50 levels depending on the dog (0-100 level adjust-ability)
    Can be set for nic, or cont, or combination of both
    Has vibrate feature (I don't use it but customers like)
    Fits very well in the hand
    Has long contact points if necessary
    Belt clip and lanyard included
    Remote switch light on the collar is a feature my customers like (I even used it hunting the other day myself)
    Collar and transmitter are both rechargable and waterproof.

The two dog unit can be set up so one button operates dog1 and the other dog2. Both can have different levels and different boost. No switch to hit to change dogs, just hit the right button (and people still get it wrong).

The thing probably has 10 more features I haven't even looked into. Overall I like the ergonomics and switching better than tri-tronics tube styles (I still have a 100 and a 500) and it has far more features than a Dogtra 1800 (which I used to recommend to customers).

Obviously the long term remains to be seen but I and my customers really like these units so far.
    Darrin Greene