RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pups are Sired By and Out of a Dam

9K views 48 replies 34 participants last post by  shawninthesticks 
#1 ·
OK, call me a stickler for wanting to use the correct canine terminology but, you will never hear a top US or UK breeder say, "my pup is out of such and such a male". Pups are by a sire/stud and out of a dam/bitch. My pup is by FC AFC Doodle and out of Lassie. Thanks for letting me vent;-)

#5 ·
Hey Franco, what dog are you breeding to this time? lol...

#17 ·
franco,

i need to make sure i got this straight. i can annoy others, appear ignorant and display lack of education by using these term incorrectly in the future. this is good news......i usually have to post on the college football thread to appear ignorant, uneducated and annoying!:D

#20 ·
Oh, boy, my pet peeve. People say they have a poodle or a cocker spaniel or a whatever. But no one ever says they have a lab. They always have a "black lab" or a "chocolate lab" or a "yellow lab." (or a silver lab, but that's another thread.) Why the he!! is that? Why does a person with a poodle never have a "cream poodle" while a person with a lab never has a (color-unspecified) "lab"?

#22 ·
As I am sure my thread is what sparked this one, I apologize for the incorrect terminology.

#23 ·
No need for an apology. If one were to read every post on every thread, just on the first page you would see it several times. Probably, the most misused term ever with Sporting and Working breeds in the US. And, I still learn new stuff just about every week on RTF.

#29 ·
Yep, back when I fooled around with horses, most folks said 15-2, 16, 16-2, and so on or referred to it as 15 1/2, 16, 16 1/2 hands. Basically, (15 x 4)+2=62" at the top of the withers. A hand is 4" and the .1, .2, .3, refers to actual inches. Very seldom would someone refer to 15.1 or 15.3 because depending on what the horse was standing on and how they were standing could vary the actual measurement. If you see an add that uses .1 or .3 that's probably someone to really question. Just my 2 cents.

#34 ·
An easy way to remember...Pups come OUT of a Female....

#43 ·
Form over substance ....

#47 ·
Chris, Lainee, or Vicky, can you please change the title of my thread to "by" instead of "out of"? :) Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.