The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Puppy that is kinda shy....

Default Puppy that is kinda shy....

I have a 12 week old female puppy that is kinda sensitive. Like her ears go back a lot and when you get loud she kinda gets a little scared. Is this a bad thing? Will it hurt her when it comes to hunting? How do I go about introducing gunfire to her? She a good puppy very clingy to me so any advice for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You'll miss that behavior one day soon... Enjoy it while it lasts.

She is a cutie! Don't introduce gun fire just yet, and when you do make sure it's at a distance. The best thing you could do now is socialize her. Take her places with you and get her around as many people, other dogs, and scenarios as you can. Take her in the car/truck and with you whenever you can. Encourage her to explore with you and ease her nerves but don't baby her too much. She just needs some confidence. Petsmart/Petco are great places to take pups to socialize AFTER they have had all of their shots. Good luck with her.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Ok thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee Strange View Post
    She is a cutie! Don't introduce gun fire just yet, and when you do make sure it's at a distance. The best thing you could do now is socialize her. Take her places with you and get her around as many people, other dogs, and scenarios as you can. Take her in the car/truck and with you whenever you can. Encourage her to explore with you and ease her nerves but don't baby her too much. She just needs some confidence. Petsmart/Petco are great places to take pups to socialize AFTER they have had all of their shots. Good luck with her.
    This is great advice, especially the part about not babying the pup. It's a bit counterintuitive, but if you try to "comfort" the pup you end up reinforcing the fact that there was a need for comforting, and you create a downward spiral. Kind of like running to the crate every time pup whimpers. But always try to be at least three steps ahead of her to avoid bad situations that you might spend a lot of time undoing.

Mine likes Tractor Supply (always treats behind the counter), Wal-Mart (the outdoor section), and anywhere else a lot of those upright creatures with two hands congregate. I live in a college town, and we spent a good bit of time on campus just being around all the people and activity. I had to be careful with that because yellow Lab puppies are apparently coed Kryptonite. Plus there is a pond out there with live ducks that was fabulous for beginning some steadiness and distraction training.

Good looking pup you have there - even the right color!
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 10-24-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Socialize, socialize, socialize - take her places and praise her when she acts confident and happy, and do not baby her when she acts hesitant. It is very easy to inadvertantly reinforce shy behavior like this as you want to pet and soothe the pup - don't! Just ignore and keep moving, praise when she does. And Home Depot is one of my favorite puppy places. I would hold off on guns too - try to get her more comfortable w/ other loud noises first.
    Don't forget - pups can go thru natural 'fear periods' also - some more than others. Typically I think usually around 8 wks and 16 wks (?) but there should be info on this in any good puppy book. If a pup is going thru an obvious fear period that is a time to maybe ease up on the socializing for a few days.

FUN FUN FUN nothing but fun. If you go to a park take her favorite toy with you. Throw it around. Do this wherever you go she will relate these places with a good time.
    If she is that stand offish and you see her becoming clingy distract her with something FUN. you'll be surprised how she will become a little more brazen.
    Try to avoid loud noisy places until she starts exploring on her own and becomes more confident.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.