The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunners up SOG Launcher Troubles

Default Gunners up SOG Launcher Troubles

Does anyone else have as much trouble with their Gunners up SOG launcher as I do? It seems everytime I go to use this launcher somethinng either breaks, comes loose, or falls off of it. I think they need a better design, beefier hardware or something etc.

Today it was one of the pulley hooks falling off going down the highway rendering the launcher useless when I arrived at my training ground. Aggrevating to say the least. Luckily my wife was with me and was willing to toss the marks. She throws like a girl though

That's the biggest difference with SOG and Zinger. The SOG are lighter, but the Z's are a little tougher. IMO
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Only significant problem I have had with my two SOGs is that the hinges bend easily. I think I've had to straighten every hinge at least once. Finally bought a spare set of hinges to keep on hand, and boy they charge a lot for a simple set of hinges. I occasionally check the various nuts, screws, etc. to make sure they are tight, and they usually are.
    HRCH Royer's Mighty Riverman Murphy (Murphy)
    HRCH Dakota's Element of Surprise (Ellie)

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    That's the biggest difference with SOG and Zinger. The SOG are lighter, but the Z's are a little tougher. IMO
    Actually the Zinger's are lighter and throw farther than SOGs; they are little bit longer.

According to the manufacturers' websites, SOG weighs 15.5 lbs, is 49"X24"X2", throws a duck 15 yards. Zinger Winger II is 13.5 lbs, 25"X56X1.5", throws a duck 20 yards.

I have not had any problems with my 2 ZWs. One needs new tubing after two years.

I choose the ZWII over the SOG because of its lighter weight.
    Last edited by mitty; 10-23-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: wrong part
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Actually the Zinger's are lighter and throw farther than SOGs; they are little bit longer.

According to the manufacturers' website, SOG weighs 15.5 lbs, is 49"X24"X2", throws a duck 15 yards. Zinger Winger II is 13.5 lbs, 25"X56X1.5", throws a duck 20 yards.

I have not had any problems with my 2 ZWs. One of the pulleys need to be replaced after two years.

I choose the ZWII over the SOG because of its lighter weight.
    And no one ever fudges either...

Mine are older, but definately heavier.

Anyways, it wasn't about size/weight. I still think they use better hardware on the Z's, unless they've changed a lot.
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 10-23-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Kendall Layne

The Mini Zinger has the same specs as the SOG and weighs 12 lbs.

I'll go weigh my ZW II.

Here's my report: each weighs 15.4 lbs. Now we need freezeland to weigh his SOGs.

I wonder if the 13.5 lbs is what the frame weighs, without the pouch and pulleys, etc.
    Last edited by mitty; 10-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    Renee P

I'll go weigh my ZW II.
    I wasn't arguing lol. I like ZW's better... I've had trialers and a mini-Z. They had better hardware. The ZWII is a lighter, more lower cost winger than the other ZW's. They still use the same good hardware. SOG's and all the other Gunner's up come with plastic pulleys and weaker hinge arms.

No one argue with you yet today Renee???
    Kendall Layne

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I wasn't arguing lol. I like ZW's better... I've had trialers and a mini-Z. They had better hardware. The ZWII is a lighter, more lower cost winger than the other ZW's. They still use the same good hardware. SOG's and all the other Gunner's up come with plastic pulleys and weaker hinge arms.
    Yeah I was wondering if they were really lighter, like the specs say. I'm hoping freezeland or someone else can fill me in.

I'm happy with them, I do regret outfitting them with dogtra electronics, though.
    Renee P

I'll go weigh my ZW II.

Here's my report: each weighs 15.4 lbs. Now we need freezeland to weigh his SOGs.

I wonder if the 13.5 lbs is what the frame weighs, without the pouch and pulleys, etc.
    My SOG, minus one pulley hook , weighs 15.7 lbs. All hardware on my SOG except for the bands and pouch are metal. I thought someone further up in the thread indicated they had plastic pulleys on their SOG. Perhaps I read that wrong.

I love my SOG's and have not experienced any problems with mine.

Janet
    JK'sboxofchocolates

SHR Diggs, HRCH Cruz, Soul and always HRCH Cinn SH 500 pt club (06/92 to 01/98), HR Rocks (09/99 to 05/04), HRCH UH Schooner SH 1000 pt club (11/95 to 11/07) and HRCH UH Wagars MH 1500 pt club (12/01 to 09/13).