The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Continuing Problems With Chinese Ingredients & Products

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    235

    Default Continuing Problems With Chinese Ingredients & Products

    Given the FDA has essentially failed in figuring out why Chinese chicken jerky treats are killing dogs, does it make sense to stop using all foods and treats that source from China?

  2. #2
    Senior Member HuntinDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,834

    Default

    Absodamnlutely it makes sense if you can figure it out. Someone posted the other day that US manufacturers do not have to state where there ingredients come from so possibly as long as the whole product didn't come from China you may not be able to tell.

    I thought that the best thing is only to stick with manufacturers with a premium reputation but I saw that Blue Buffalo treats (some) were affected too. Aren't they a premium brand?

    More and more my dog only gets dog food and the occasional milk bone. I'm even scared to give him the "milk bones" they give at the bank teller window because I don't know the brand. I know even many of the more reputable dog food companies have had their issues, but if you only feed your dog one thing and keep an eye out for recalls that has to be the safest approach IMO. If you are feeding dog food plus an assortment of treats you are just increasing your odds of feeding them something dreadful IMO.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

    "When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

    "You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    Given the FDA has essentially failed in figuring out why Chinese chicken jerky treats are killing dogs, does it make sense to stop using all foods and treats that source from China?
    yes, yes and yes
    JMOP

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pam Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Skip the commercially prepared treats entirely. Forget about trying to interpret the small print on the label. It's not like your dog "needs" jerky treats, after all. Give them cheese, diced chicken, green beans, whatever "real" food they like as a snack and leave the commercial, preserved, artificially flavored and dyed treats on the shelf. Or make your own: tons of recipes on the internet for dried liver and real jerky, made at home (without all the spices) with real meat.

    Then again, I read recently that the FDA recently approved a Chinese company to produce chicken for human consumption in the US. Who knows where THAT will lead?!
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

  5. #5
    Senior Member metalone67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oh
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    Skip the commercially prepared treats entirely. Forget about trying to interpret the small print on the label. It's not like your dog "needs" jerky treats, after all. Give them cheese, diced chicken, green beans, whatever "real" food they like as a snack and leave the commercial, preserved, artificially flavored and dyed treats on the shelf. Or make your own: tons of recipes on the internet for dried liver and real jerky, made at home (without all the spices) with real meat.

    Then again, I read recently that the FDA recently approved a Chinese company to produce chicken for human consumption in the US. Who knows where THAT will lead?!
    I agree 100 % with this post. If I won't eat it, my dogs don't get it, we'll except bananas which I hate, it amazes me that we have become dependent on commercially made products.
    What does a package of those treats cost $5-$7 for 4 ounces? That's $20-$28 a pound. I can buy a lot of veggies and chicken/beef and dry it myself for that kind of money.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

  6. #6
    Senior Member HuntinDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    Then again, I read recently that the FDA recently approved a Chinese company to produce chicken for human consumption in the US. Who knows where THAT will lead?!
    Say it ain't so. Does FDA now stand for Freaking Dumb Arses?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

    "When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

    "You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

  7. #7
    Senior Member metalone67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oh
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    Say it ain't so. Does FDA now stand for Freaking Dumb Arses?
    Not so much the FDA as it is USDA. The chicken coming in must be processed and cooked. They are also talking about shipping our birds over there for them to process but with the way inspection is set up no one will know if the McNuggets you are eating is chicken from the US and Canada or China raised birds.
    Here a little look into what they want to do.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/bu...-us.html?_r=1&
    What really bothers me is they would rather have to whole shooting match from egg to nugget come straight from China as they have such a high export tax it's not economical to ship our birds out. Is that so we keep people employees here or to just boost Chinas economy because we owe them so much money.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

  8. #8
    Senior Member HuntinDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    Not so much the FDA as it is USDA. The chicken coming in must be processed and cooked. They are also talking about shipping our birds over there for them to process but with the way inspection is set up no one will know if the McNuggets you are eating is chicken from the US and Canada or China raised birds.
    Here a little look into what they want to do.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/bu...-us.html?_r=1&
    What really bothers me is they would rather have to whole shooting match from egg to nugget come straight from China as they have such a high export tax it's not economical to ship our birds out. Is that so we keep people employees here or to just boost Chinas economy because we owe them so much money.
    Thanks for the link. That is extremely scary. We would be fools to allow this in light of their horrible track record with food contamination. I wonder how long it would be before we found melamine in our chicken...

    If this goes through and I am aware of it my family will stop eating all pre-cooked chicken just to insure we aren't eating that crap. I will not subject my family to potential random poisoning by Chinese industry. I don't want to turn this into a political thread, but as someone who voted for him twice I'm embarrassed that the Bush administration wanted to allow chicken imports from China. Blocking that may have been the best thing Congress has done in many years, but of course it wasn't about safety it was about trade and the almighty dollar. Oddly, communist Chinese industry worships money worse than the worst American "evil" capitalist. If they are ever aware of contaminated chicken they will ship it to us anyway, I guarantee it. They NEVER cull or scrap bad product, if they made it they are shipping it to somebody...and that is assuming the contamination/poisoning isn't intentional as with the melamine in dog food to raise the protein analysis. It wouldn't matter whether we had inspectors in their plants or not IMO as they would be paid off or ignored. China don't care about the health and safety of their own populous, it would be delusional for anyone to think they would care about ours.

    Lest anyone think my remarks are racist, I'm talking about their lack of governmental controls and the culture and incompetency of their industries over there. In China, businessmen who turn a profit are revered in a way that I cannot describe and a businessman who fails is shamed in a way that is hard to describe. The only definition of success or failure is profit, not the quality of the product, not ethics, not employee safety, etc. If you have a low opinion of American capitalism, just wait until you get a load of China's version.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

    "When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

    "You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

  9. #9
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    7,989

    Default

    Someone here has a sig line saying "we live in Cuba now". I think he's got the wrong country. Through the machinations of "free market" politics, corporations are allowed to sacrifice our quality of life in exchange for greater profit margins. Oh well, I agree with Pam. Just don't buy that stuff. I make my own dog treats. It takes about 1 hour every 2 weeks to give at least 2 per day to 3 dogs. As for myself, I TRY to eat only local non processed foods. It is harder to do that everyday when labeling laws have been loosened so much. Keep your eyes on TAFTA. Talk about really scary! Better save that for the POTUS page.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Are the Garmin collars on the list of made in China products affecting dogs? Lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •