The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Continuing Problems With Chinese Ingredients & Products

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    Absodamnlutely it makes sense if you can figure it out. Someone posted the other day that US manufacturers do not have to state where there ingredients come from so possibly as long as the whole product didn't come from China you may not be able to tell.

I thought that the best thing is only to stick with manufacturers with a premium reputation but I saw that Blue Buffalo treats (some) were affected too. Aren't they a premium brand?

More and more my dog only gets dog food and the occasional milk bone. I'm even scared to give him the "milk bones" they give at the bank teller window because I don't know the brand. I know even many of the more reputable dog food companies have had their issues, but if you only feed your dog one thing and keep an eye out for recalls that has to be the safest approach IMO. If you are feeding dog food plus an assortment of treats you are just increasing your odds of feeding them something dreadful IMO.
    Several years ago, I thought about giving Blue Buffalo a try. Given the issues with Diamond-made products, I asked if they made their own food. I was told they contracted that out. I then asked who did. I was told very curtly, "We don't release that information." I very curtly replied that any customer should know where the food is produced. I was told they have a "rep." who is at the facility to ensure quality. I asked if the "rep." were there every day. I was told he/she was not. I then said "If the rep. isn't there all the time, exactly how do you know what is going into the food?" She didn't or couldn't answer a simple question but then asked if I had any other questions. As soon as I said I did not but just wanted those questions answered, she hung up on me. That tells me a lot about how "premium" Blue Buffalo is.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Banned

Not many companies will confirm in writing where they get ingredients that is why I stick to Dr. Tim's and recommend Annamaet.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    Not many companies will confirm in writing where they get ingredients that is why I stick to Dr. Tim's and recommend Annamaet.
    Hi SpinRetriever,

I figured when you started this thread that you were really just propping up another Dr. Tim's plug.

It is undoubtedly a good food. My primary training partner and his daughter operate a boarding facility locally and that's all they feed. This is their own personal dogs and their client dogs. Their dogs look great and run great.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

PMI Exclusive sources all ingredients in US and Canada. That used to also be true for Purina Pro Plan.

Meredith

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Hi SpinRetriever,

I figured when you started this thread that you were really just propping up another Dr. Tim's plug.

It is undoubtedly a good food. My primary training partner and his daughter operate a boarding facility locally and that's all they feed. This is their own personal dogs and their client dogs. Their dogs look great and run great.

Chris
    Sorry you are wrong. I stuck it up there due to the article the FDA is clueless as to why dogs are getting sick and ingredients coming from China aren't limited to treats, rather chicken ingredients and vitamins are coming from China. I am sorry if your industrial sponsors call you to complain but this is still the USA and not China. You never say a word when every bought-off trainer or breeder recommends Pro Plan. Why is that??

Sorry you are wrong. I stuck it up there due to the article the FDA is clueless as to why dogs are getting sick and ingredients coming from China aren't limited to treats, rather chicken ingredients and vitamins are coming from China. I am sorry if your industrial sponsors call you to complain but this is still the USA and not China. You never say a word when every bought-off trainer or breeder recommends Pro Plan. Why is that??
    i don't recall a thread where someone specifically brought up the topic to only turn it into a plug for pro plan. I may have missed it. You have shown a repeat pattern of bringing up topics to turn around and make a plug for Dr. Tim's. Do you disagree with that?

The only reason I opened this thread was that I saw who initiated it. I remembered the time that you chose to use a pet food recall as an opportunity to plug Dr. Tim's. In a very consistent manner, you have now chosen to highlight another health topic and turn it into a plug for Dr. Tim's.
    "
    To this day, I still feed Eukanuba premium performance. You can call it "bought off" if you like. But the fact is that these pet food suppliers do a significant amount of funding for our national events.

Spin. It is True that I was contacted by an employee of a large dog food company when you exaggerated the status of a pet food recall. That was clearly an attempt to make the competition look poorly so that you could try to make Dr. Tim's look good.

That person who contacted me is not and has never been a sponsor of this resource. That person is, however, a member of our retriever community. As such, if someone uses this resource to post defamatory comments aimed at creating financial damages, I tend to hear about it. I'm sure that if you were in my position, you would clearly understand the uncomfortable position it puts me in.

Here is a challenge for you. How about the next time you bring up a nutrition topic, you do so without plugging Dr. Tim's?

Is that fair?
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    i don't recall a thread where someone specifically brought up the topic to only turn it into a plug for pro plan. I may have missed it. You have shown a repeat pattern of bringing up topics to turn around and make a plug for Dr. Tim's. Do you disagree with that?

The only reason I opened this thread was that I saw who initiated it. I remembered the time that you chose to use a pet food recall as an opportunity to plug Dr. Tim's. In a very consistent manner, you have now chosen to highlight another health topic and turn it into a plug for Dr. Tim's.

To this day, I still feed Euanuba premium performance. You can call it bought off if you like. But the fact is that these pet food suppliers do a significant amount of funding for our national events.

Spin. It is True that I was contacted by an employee of a large dog food company when you exaggerated the status of a pet food recall. That was clearly an attempt to make the competition look poorly so that you could try to make Dr. Tim's look good.

That person who contacted me is not and has never been a sponsor of this resource. That person is, however, a member of our retriever community. As such, if someone uses this resource to post defamatory comments aimed at creating financial damages, I tend to hear about it. I'm sure that if you were in my position, you would clearly understand the uncomfortable position it puts me in.

Here is a challenge for you. How about the next time you bring up a nutrition topic, you do so without plugging Dr. Tim's?

Is that fair?
    No, what you are suggesting is regulated speech. If everyone agreed to that it would be impossible to have a forum. The company you are referring to had three large recalls of at least a half dozen brands within a year. I would call that sloppy production, or are they just innocent victims? If I mention Dr. Tim's it is due to personal experience and in no way a plug. Is Eukanuba afraid of Dr. Tim's? So because Eukanuba sponsors events the entire community cannot be critical? From what I read, Iams/Eukanuba is on the block, P&G is cutting their loses.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 10-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Its little bit difficult to maintain the FDA and/or USDA isn't doing enough when it comes to montioring the source of jerky treats and simultaneously curse how overeaching and ridiculous gov't regulations are. A lot of of the corporations that are making the most money on these cheap Chinese products have been supporting the political forces trying to reduce or eliminate gov't oversight of a lot more things than a few dog treats.

A constant battle has been waged over the last decade or more between gov't advocates for more transparency in all kinds of pet and human food who are opposed by very well-funded lobbyists for large corporate interests selling these products (Petsmart, Petco, Wal-Mart). Not to make this overly political, but let's suffice it to say the corporate interests didn't support Obama...

The reason these corporate lobbyists have fought hard to keep the disclosure of their ingredients secret is to increase their profit margins. Did you know that virtually every frozen shrimp sold in an American grocery store comes from China? So does a lot the frozen fish from Sam's Costco and the large grocery chains they run. The Alabama Department of Agriculture fought to have these products labeled for their origin in the state legislature about 10 years ago. They were trying to protect Alabama shrimpers and catfish farmers who were having their prices slashed unfairly by inferior Chinese seafood. Lobbyists working for Chinese interests overwhelmed the legislators with enough money to defeat their efforts.

The only thing the Department able to accomplish at the legislature was having a sign placed in every restaruant serving seafood that says "You have the right to ask where your seafood comes and from". Big whoop.

Its a larger problem than just jerky treats and a few dog foods. I would like to say its possible to just avoid eating anything made in China or other questionable countries, but that really isn't practical long term.

Don't mean to offend anyone's political beliefs, but this is a lot bigger than some jerky treats.

No, what you are suggesting is regulated speech. If everyone agreed to that it would be impossible to have a forum. The company you are referring to had three large recalls of at least a half dozen brands within a year. I would call that sloppy production, or are they just innocent victims? If I mention Dr. Tim's it is due to personal experience and in no way a plug. Is Eukanuba afraid of Dr. Tim's? So because Eukanuba sponsors events the entire community cannot be critical? From what I read, Iams/Eukanuba is on the block, P&G is cutting their loses.
    Ok. So we have come full circle.

Please post on the product review section about your preferred dog food and keep your posts promoting it in that thread. Please do not create any new topics here with the intent of steering it to yet another Dr. Tim's plug.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely, Chris Atkinson

Chris- I gotta say you have more patience than me. Let's review for the folks at home. We have a guy with a challenging career, a full time Father and husband, rescuer of misfortunate dogs and Lord only knows what other pro bono causes. This person reaches into his own pocket to afford the hosting charges and all that is associated with a web site that has the stature and participation that this one does. Then he gracefully and humbly asks that people not disparage reputable companies that give a great deal of resources back to the community. Along comes some slack jawed nobody with an agenda that figures that this being a free resource and this being a free society that we can just promote a product for reasons known only to the slack jawed.

Personally- I would have called in an air strike on this yo-yo months ago and then have arty bounce the rubble.

Thanks for all that you do and I admire your ability to remain civil and decent.

Steve Elliott
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci