The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Female

Default Small Female

I have a nice little black female, 42 pounds. My question is if i were to breed her to a male of around 75-80 pounds would she have problem delivering puppies? She just seems so small. She was in fact the runt of the litter but i thought she would have been just a bit bigger. Also, if she is this small what can i expect the puppies size to be. Her parents were normal size dogs.

I have a 43 lb girl with normal size parents and was a good sized puppy. Bred her to a 75 lb male, whelped a litter of 9 with no problems the end of May. Can't tell you about puppy adult size yet. The puppies were on the small size at birth, 1 6oz, 1 8oz, the rest were 10-12 oz.

I have another 45 pound female, sire was 80 lbs (Gates), dam was 60 lbs. The puppies varied in size from 45 lb females to 75-80 pound males. Both sires were 75-80 llbs. I'm thinking the only pup from her last litter (sired by Rev) is going to be small, too.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

I have a small female CBR (out of a big, 80 lb. female and normal sized 85 lb. male) who was the largest female pup in her litter of 10. We call her the mini Peake as she's very petite, runs 48-49 lbs. Because of her size, I bred her to a big 100 lb. male. Pups were all normal sized and she whelped easily. The pups were all larger than her by 5 mos. Don't know if any will get as big as the sire; there were no females in the litter.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

A long time ago, there was an orthopedic warning about breeding small to large... I have no idea if that holds any water anymore or does it really just matter how sound the lines are behind the parents to be? I was very careful early on to not breed to extremes, but at the same time, I started out w/ some fast growing lines. Slowed them down... (a good thing for ortho health). A couple years ago, I bred a 58# to an 85# male and my keeper is Excellent/normal w/ no issues reported in the sibs. I don't know if I'd breed unknown lines to the outlyer though.

If I understand breeding correctly, you can't expect to breed small to large and get medium. What you will likely get is some small pups like the dam and some large pups like the sire. Some will pull toward her side, the other toward the male. If you don't want small, you would not want to breed to small as you would double up on that.

Bred my smaller female to a larger male this spring and she had little trouble delivering. Size of the pups is varying from what I've seen. Females favor the mom and the males are carbon copies of dad.

Before you breed her we need to know if she has potential- send her to me for an evaluation. I'll test her out thoroughly and let you know the results. Just tape a couple bags of dog food to the kennel and ship her out.

Trying to help out in the worst way regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
    If I understand breeding correctly, you can't expect to breed small to large and get medium. What you will likely get is some small pups like the dam and some large pups like the sire. Some will pull toward her side, the other toward the male. If you don't want small, you would not want to breed to small as you would double up on that.
    I've heard this too and while I wasn't seeking to produce 100# dogs, I did want to make sure the male I picked for my mini Peake was good size, with plenty of bone to offset her small size. Hoping the male pups (there weren't any females) end up in the 80-85 lb. range. So far so good, but they're only 6 mos. so time will tell! It was one of the most uniform litters I ever had, they all weighed exactly the same from birth to 8 wks.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I have a BLF, 51lbs 11months old. How much more weight do you guys think she will put on? When is a pup full grown? I like her size right now, she fits well in my arm chair with me!

jbrous, how big was your pup at 4 months? A formula that has been reasonably accurate for me is doubling the 4 month weight to predict adult weight. Except for very slow growing big males, it has always been correct to within about 5 lbs.

To build on the OP's question - for those that have bred little bitches to much bigger males- how did the puppy birthweight compare to other breedings? I have noticed in my litters, that the pups from bigger males tend to be a few ounces bigger than pups out of the same bitch sired by smaller males. I am just not sure how small a female needs to be for those few ounces of increased puppy size to make a (possibly serious) difference in whelping ease.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC MGDC SGDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor CRNCL, Jet and Glitzy CRNMCL
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........